Nov 8, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
With his team leading by a goal late in the third period of Friday’s game, Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Jonathan Bernier had, well, let’s say a lapse in concentration at perhaps the worst possible time.
New Jersey Devils forward Michael Ryder harmlessly threw a puck from the side boards on the Toronto net. The puck somehow found its way through some bodies passing by in front, then deflected off of Bernier’s stick into the net, as the goalie was going into the butterfly.
That was actually the first time in a combined 170 minutes and 34 seconds the Devils had scored with Cory Schneider in their own goal.
Bernier’s gaffe helped the Devils force overtime, however the Leafs prevailed by a final score of 2-1 with the shootout win. Bernier made two saves in the skills competition, and got the help of the goal post on another New Jersey attempt.
While that may have been an ugly one, Leafs’ forward Phil Kessel scored an absolute beauty of the coast-to-coast, end-to-end variety earlier in the third period.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings, too 0
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)