Nov 8, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Just hours after cleaning house by firing his entire coaching staff, Florida GM Dale Tallon shook up his roster by putting veteran defenseman Ryan Whitney on waivers.
Whitney, who signed a one-year, $900,000 deal with Florida after playing in St. Louis’ camp on a PTO, has only appeared in six games this year for the Panthers, going scoreless while posting a minus-7 rating. He last played in Tuesday’s shootout loss to Edmonton, after which Tallon reportedly sent around a mass email trying to trade Whitney.
The 30-year-old rearguard was, at one time, a quality offensive defenseman, scoring 59 points for Pittsburgh during the 2006-07. Injuries and steadily decreasing foot speed have hampered his game, however, and he’s had issues defensively in each of his last three stops (Edmonton, Anaheim and Florida).
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)