Nov 8, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Just hours after cleaning house by firing his entire coaching staff, Florida GM Dale Tallon shook up his roster by putting veteran defenseman Ryan Whitney on waivers.
Whitney, who signed a one-year, $900,000 deal with Florida after playing in St. Louis’ camp on a PTO, has only appeared in six games this year for the Panthers, going scoreless while posting a minus-7 rating. He last played in Tuesday’s shootout loss to Edmonton, after which Tallon reportedly sent around a mass email trying to trade Whitney.
The 30-year-old rearguard was, at one time, a quality offensive defenseman, scoring 59 points for Pittsburgh during the 2006-07. Injuries and steadily decreasing foot speed have hampered his game, however, and he’s had issues defensively in each of his last three stops (Edmonton, Anaheim and Florida).
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)