Nov 8, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Just hours after cleaning house by firing his entire coaching staff, Florida GM Dale Tallon shook up his roster by putting veteran defenseman Ryan Whitney on waivers.
Whitney, who signed a one-year, $900,000 deal with Florida after playing in St. Louis’ camp on a PTO, has only appeared in six games this year for the Panthers, going scoreless while posting a minus-7 rating. He last played in Tuesday’s shootout loss to Edmonton, after which Tallon reportedly sent around a mass email trying to trade Whitney.
The 30-year-old rearguard was, at one time, a quality offensive defenseman, scoring 59 points for Pittsburgh during the 2006-07. Injuries and steadily decreasing foot speed have hampered his game, however, and he’s had issues defensively in each of his last three stops (Edmonton, Anaheim and Florida).
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5