Nov 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
Things are happening in Edmonton.
Just minutes after shipping longtime defenseman Ladislav Smid to provincial rival Calgary, the Oilers are reportedly in serious negotiations with free agent goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
CBC’s Elliotte Friedman confirms the two parties had discussions earlier this season, but noted Edmonton “didn’t like” Bryzgalov’s salary demands. It’s possible the Smid deal has changed that line of thinking, as Edmonton freed up $3.5 million in cap space by moving him to the Flames (Smid signed a four-year, $14 million extension with the Oilers last season.)
Bryzgalov, 33, has been without a club this season after Philadelphia bought out the remaining seven years of his nine-year, $51 million deal. He spent a short period of time with ECHL Las Vegas in mid-October before leaving to focus on finding his way back to the NHL.
“Bryz will train at home in [New Jersey] until the right NHL job comes around,” Bryzgalov’s agent Ritch Winter told ESPN.com.
“He has turned down one NHL offer recently and will wait until the right opportunity presents itself. There is no rush. He is in great shape and ready to go when the right opportunity arises.”
As a member of the Flyers, Bryzgalov won 52 regular season games in 99 games played. He struggled mightily last season, posting a 19-17-3-1 record.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)