Nov 8, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
The mysterious puck stopper known as Ilya Bryzgalov will soon be bringing his talents, which includes his off-ice personality, to Edmonton.
On Friday, the Oilers announced they had signed the free agent goalie to a one-year contract. Bryzgalov hit celebrity status within the hockey world for his often amusing antics and bizarre soundbites, which we all witnessed on HBO 24/7 in the lead up to the 2012 Winter Classic.
However, his time with the Philadelphia Flyers was reduced to just two seasons, before he was bought out during the off-season.
“We get a goaltender that has a history of being a high-performer in parts of his career and we get a guy who I think that’s very motivated and he’s going to have a chance to be a good goalie,” said Edmonton’s general manager Craig MacTavish, as per the Oilers’ website.
While this deal was announced today, and with the Oilers having already played 17 games and now sitting last in the Pacific Division, MacTavish said he had conversations with Bryzgalov dating all the way back to the NHL Draft in June, as per Mark Spector of Sportsnet.ca.
“I think he’ll surprise us, in terms of his character,” MacTavish told Spector.
According to Derek Van Diest of the Edmonton Sun, Bryzgalov, who last played an NHL game way back on April 25, will first be sent to the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League.
This signing turned out to be the headliner in a pair of moves made by the Oilers today.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)