Nov 8, 2013, 9:57 PM EST
The mysterious puck stopper known as Ilya Bryzgalov will soon be bringing his talents, which includes his off-ice personality, to Edmonton.
On Friday, the Oilers announced they had signed the free agent goalie to a one-year contract. Bryzgalov hit celebrity status within the hockey world for his often amusing antics and bizarre soundbites, which we all witnessed on HBO 24/7 in the lead up to the 2012 Winter Classic.
However, his time with the Philadelphia Flyers was reduced to just two seasons, before he was bought out during the off-season.
“We get a goaltender that has a history of being a high-performer in parts of his career and we get a guy who I think that’s very motivated and he’s going to have a chance to be a good goalie,” said Edmonton’s general manager Craig MacTavish, as per the Oilers’ website.
While this deal was announced today, and with the Oilers having already played 17 games and now sitting last in the Pacific Division, MacTavish said he had conversations with Bryzgalov dating all the way back to the NHL Draft in June, as per Mark Spector of Sportsnet.ca.
“I think he’ll surprise us, in terms of his character,” MacTavish told Spector.
According to Derek Van Diest of the Edmonton Sun, Bryzgalov, who last played an NHL game way back on April 25, will first be sent to the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League.
This signing turned out to be the headliner in a pair of moves made by the Oilers today.
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 8
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 3
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 30
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 37
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (37)