Nov 8, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
The mysterious puck stopper known as Ilya Bryzgalov will soon be bringing his talents, which includes his off-ice personality, to Edmonton.
On Friday, the Oilers announced they had signed the free agent goalie to a one-year contract. Bryzgalov hit celebrity status within the hockey world for his often amusing antics and bizarre soundbites, which we all witnessed on HBO 24/7 in the lead up to the 2012 Winter Classic.
However, his time with the Philadelphia Flyers was reduced to just two seasons, before he was bought out during the off-season.
“We get a goaltender that has a history of being a high-performer in parts of his career and we get a guy who I think that’s very motivated and he’s going to have a chance to be a good goalie,” said Edmonton’s general manager Craig MacTavish, as per the Oilers’ website.
While this deal was announced today, and with the Oilers having already played 17 games and now sitting last in the Pacific Division, MacTavish said he had conversations with Bryzgalov dating all the way back to the NHL Draft in June, as per Mark Spector of Sportsnet.ca.
“I think he’ll surprise us, in terms of his character,” MacTavish told Spector.
According to Derek Van Diest of the Edmonton Sun, Bryzgalov, who last played an NHL game way back on April 25, will first be sent to the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League.
This signing turned out to be the headliner in a pair of moves made by the Oilers today.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 12
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)