Nov 8, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Winchester, 30, wasn’t penalized on the play but did proceed to fight B’s forward Gregory Campbell in response.
“Rather than make a legal check, Winchester elevates and extends his left elbow, making significant contact to Kelly’s head,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “On this play, the degree in which Winchester extends his elbow, and the force of contact to Kelly’s head is significant.”
Shanahan notes Kelly did nothing to alter his course prior to getting hit (or, contribute to the significance of contact) and that Kelly sustained no injury on the play. Also, Winchester has no history as a repeat offender.
Here’s the video:
Winchester will miss Florida’s next three games against Ottawa, the New York Rangers and Anaheim, eligible to return on Nov. 15 for a game in Minnesota. He’ll also forfeit $9,230.76 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 7
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)