Nov 8, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Winchester, 30, wasn’t penalized on the play but did proceed to fight B’s forward Gregory Campbell in response.
“Rather than make a legal check, Winchester elevates and extends his left elbow, making significant contact to Kelly’s head,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “On this play, the degree in which Winchester extends his elbow, and the force of contact to Kelly’s head is significant.”
Shanahan notes Kelly did nothing to alter his course prior to getting hit (or, contribute to the significance of contact) and that Kelly sustained no injury on the play. Also, Winchester has no history as a repeat offender.
Here’s the video:
Winchester will miss Florida’s next three games against Ottawa, the New York Rangers and Anaheim, eligible to return on Nov. 15 for a game in Minnesota. He’ll also forfeit $9,230.76 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 0
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 4
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 16
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9