Nov 8, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Winchester, 30, wasn’t penalized on the play but did proceed to fight B’s forward Gregory Campbell in response.
“Rather than make a legal check, Winchester elevates and extends his left elbow, making significant contact to Kelly’s head,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “On this play, the degree in which Winchester extends his elbow, and the force of contact to Kelly’s head is significant.”
Shanahan notes Kelly did nothing to alter his course prior to getting hit (or, contribute to the significance of contact) and that Kelly sustained no injury on the play. Also, Winchester has no history as a repeat offender.
Here’s the video:
Winchester will miss Florida’s next three games against Ottawa, the New York Rangers and Anaheim, eligible to return on Nov. 15 for a game in Minnesota. He’ll also forfeit $9,230.76 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 7
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 56
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (56)