Nov 8, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Winchester, 30, wasn’t penalized on the play but did proceed to fight B’s forward Gregory Campbell in response.
“Rather than make a legal check, Winchester elevates and extends his left elbow, making significant contact to Kelly’s head,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “On this play, the degree in which Winchester extends his elbow, and the force of contact to Kelly’s head is significant.”
Shanahan notes Kelly did nothing to alter his course prior to getting hit (or, contribute to the significance of contact) and that Kelly sustained no injury on the play. Also, Winchester has no history as a repeat offender.
Here’s the video:
Winchester will miss Florida’s next three games against Ottawa, the New York Rangers and Anaheim, eligible to return on Nov. 15 for a game in Minnesota. He’ll also forfeit $9,230.76 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 21
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 33
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 27
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6