Nov 8, 2013, 8:23 PM EST
Winchester, 30, wasn’t penalized on the play but did proceed to fight B’s forward Gregory Campbell in response.
“Rather than make a legal check, Winchester elevates and extends his left elbow, making significant contact to Kelly’s head,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “On this play, the degree in which Winchester extends his elbow, and the force of contact to Kelly’s head is significant.”
Shanahan notes Kelly did nothing to alter his course prior to getting hit (or, contribute to the significance of contact) and that Kelly sustained no injury on the play. Also, Winchester has no history as a repeat offender.
Here’s the video:
Winchester will miss Florida’s next three games against Ottawa, the New York Rangers and Anaheim, eligible to return on Nov. 15 for a game in Minnesota. He’ll also forfeit $9,230.76 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 45
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 19
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32