Nov 8, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Evander Kane isn’t letting Wednesday night go.
After being held out of the lineup in a 4-1 loss to Chicago — the second game in a row he missed with an unspecified injury — Kane told reporters on Friday he was ready to face the ‘Hawks and insists he was a healthy scratch.
“I felt healthy enough to play,” Kane told the Winnipeg Sun. “My definition of a healthy scratch is a healthy player not playing. That was my interpretation.”
Embattled coach Claude Noel, who has run afoul of Jets players in the past (see: Burmistrov, Alex), told the Sun he’s discussed the matter with Kane and respects his opinion, but still stands by the decision to hold the 22-year-old out due to “health reasons.”
That said, it’s clear there’s some sort of rift between coach and player.
“I felt good in warm-up and obviously the feeling wasn’t mutual,” Kane explained. “Obviously it’s some sort of disagreement in a sense, but I don’t think it’s a big of a matter as some people are making it seem.”
Kane has six goals and nine points through 15 games this year, which is decent production. The problems in Winnipeg, it seems, are much larger in scope — after spending huge in the offseason to retain its core players for playoff push, the club has just six wins through its first 17 games and sits dead last in the Central Division.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 0
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 7
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 39
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 48
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (49)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)