Nov 8, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Evander Kane isn’t letting Wednesday night go.
After being held out of the lineup in a 4-1 loss to Chicago — the second game in a row he missed with an unspecified injury — Kane told reporters on Friday he was ready to face the ‘Hawks and insists he was a healthy scratch.
“I felt healthy enough to play,” Kane told the Winnipeg Sun. “My definition of a healthy scratch is a healthy player not playing. That was my interpretation.”
Embattled coach Claude Noel, who has run afoul of Jets players in the past (see: Burmistrov, Alex), told the Sun he’s discussed the matter with Kane and respects his opinion, but still stands by the decision to hold the 22-year-old out due to “health reasons.”
That said, it’s clear there’s some sort of rift between coach and player.
“I felt good in warm-up and obviously the feeling wasn’t mutual,” Kane explained. “Obviously it’s some sort of disagreement in a sense, but I don’t think it’s a big of a matter as some people are making it seem.”
Kane has six goals and nine points through 15 games this year, which is decent production. The problems in Winnipeg, it seems, are much larger in scope — after spending huge in the offseason to retain its core players for playoff push, the club has just six wins through its first 17 games and sits dead last in the Central Division.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (61)