Nov 8, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Evander Kane isn’t letting Wednesday night go.
After being held out of the lineup in a 4-1 loss to Chicago — the second game in a row he missed with an unspecified injury — Kane told reporters on Friday he was ready to face the ‘Hawks and insists he was a healthy scratch.
“I felt healthy enough to play,” Kane told the Winnipeg Sun. “My definition of a healthy scratch is a healthy player not playing. That was my interpretation.”
Embattled coach Claude Noel, who has run afoul of Jets players in the past (see: Burmistrov, Alex), told the Sun he’s discussed the matter with Kane and respects his opinion, but still stands by the decision to hold the 22-year-old out due to “health reasons.”
That said, it’s clear there’s some sort of rift between coach and player.
“I felt good in warm-up and obviously the feeling wasn’t mutual,” Kane explained. “Obviously it’s some sort of disagreement in a sense, but I don’t think it’s a big of a matter as some people are making it seem.”
Kane has six goals and nine points through 15 games this year, which is decent production. The problems in Winnipeg, it seems, are much larger in scope — after spending huge in the offseason to retain its core players for playoff push, the club has just six wins through its first 17 games and sits dead last in the Central Division.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)