Jaromir Jagr: ‘I’ll play until I cannot walk’

Nov 8, 2013, 11:36 PM EST

Vancouver Canucks v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Jaromir Jagr, it seems, isn’t ready to hang up his skates at the end of this season.

Despite being on a struggling New Jersey Devils team, and about to turn 42 years of age in February, Jagr has expressed a desire to keep playing beyond this season.

“I’ll tell you one thing, as long as I don’t die, it’s not my last year of playing hockey,” Jagr told the Courier-Post.

“I don’t know where I’m gonna play. I don’t know if I’m gonna play U.S. or somewhere else. I’m gonna play. I’ll play until I cannot walk. I love the game too much to leave it.”

Jagr was easily the best New Jersey forward in Friday’s 2-1 shootout loss, even if he was held off the score sheet.

In 1,407 regular season games, Jagr has scored 685 goals and 1,699 points. He signed with the Devils as a free agent this summer, putting pen to paper on a one-year deal.

His recent comments are almost a complete turnaround from this summer, when he suggested in August that this could be his final season.

Latest Posts
  1. Wings clear Zetterberg (upper body) to face Rangers

Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST

Detroit Red Wings v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.

2. Boyle, Tanguay to play in 1,000th NHL games tonight

Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST

Colorado Avalanche v New York Rangers Getty Images

Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.

3. Anyone notice the Preds are slumping?

Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST

Nashville Predators v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Just two wins in their last eight.

4. Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit

Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST

Trevor Daley, Matt Martin Trevor Daley, Matt Martin

Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.

5. After ‘nightmare’ start for Markstrom, Canucks face goaltending conundrum

Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST

Jacob Markstrom AP

“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”

6. Ryder, Havlat don’t sound thrilled about still being Devils

Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST

New Jersey Devils v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.

7. Andersen ties record for quickest to 50 wins

Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST

Kyle Chipchura, Frederik Andersen AP

It took him just 68 decisions.

8. Kessel’s defense ‘means a lot’ to Phaneuf

Mar 4, 2015, 9:21 AM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs Players During Practice Getty Images

The captain is still proud to be a Maple Leaf.

9. NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight

Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST

Mats Zuccarello, Danny DeKeyser AP

Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.

10. Video: Andersen’s sprawling save, Getzlaf fights Doan

Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST

getzdoan Getty Images

Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.

11. Update: Stars’ Daley could miss ‘weeks’ after hit by Isles’ Martin

Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST

martindaley

The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.

Reactions from NHL trade deadline