Jaromir Jagr: ‘I’ll play until I cannot walk’

Nov 8, 2013, 11:36 PM EDT

Vancouver Canucks v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Jaromir Jagr, it seems, isn’t ready to hang up his skates at the end of this season.

Despite being on a struggling New Jersey Devils team, and about to turn 42 years of age in February, Jagr has expressed a desire to keep playing beyond this season.

“I’ll tell you one thing, as long as I don’t die, it’s not my last year of playing hockey,” Jagr told the Courier-Post.

“I don’t know where I’m gonna play. I don’t know if I’m gonna play U.S. or somewhere else. I’m gonna play. I’ll play until I cannot walk. I love the game too much to leave it.”

Jagr was easily the best New Jersey forward in Friday’s 2-1 shootout loss, even if he was held off the score sheet.

In 1,407 regular season games, Jagr has scored 685 goals and 1,699 points. He signed with the Devils as a free agent this summer, putting pen to paper on a one-year deal.

His recent comments are almost a complete turnaround from this summer, when he suggested in August that this could be his final season.

1. homieshome - Nov 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Or until you stop producing and the Devgirls get rid of you. Go Rangers

• hockeyflow33 - Nov 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM

You seriously wrote devgirls?

The wit of posters on here somehow gets worse and worse.

• c9castine - Nov 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM

??? even if your douchey comment comes true he just got done saying gel play anywhere he doesn’t care.

fact is he still produces in this league and isn’t a liability. as long as he produces a half a point per game and is effective in all 3 zones he’s gonna play in this league.

2. canucks30 - Nov 9, 2013 at 12:46 AM

If not for 3 different lockouts and 3 seasons in the KHL, Jagr could have scored 2000+ career points.

3. canucks30 - Nov 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM

“I don’t know where I’m gonna play. I don’t know if I’m gonna play U.S. or somewhere else. I’m gonna play. I’ll play until I cannot walk. I love $$$ too much to leave it.”

-Fixed

• peterjohnjoseph - Nov 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I don’t know man, I thought the same way forever. You have no clue how many nights I spent on Twitter last year making Jagr jokes. When he got traded to Boston at the deadline last year my heart sank. As one of my favorites growing up, I would of loved this had it been 10 years earlier. it sickened me knowing I would have to endure watching a past his prime, take the money and run, shell of a player with 68 on his jersey play for my team. Low and behold the guy might have been a shell of his former self, but sans Zdeno Chara, no one, and I mean no one put in more work than this guy day in, night out.

You don’t get payed for staying at the arena for 3 hours after each game. You don’t get payed for going to churches in town and praying prior to games, before taking long runs to the rink 4 hours before game time to get a skate and work out in. Sure, he needs money bad. But I honestly think he gets a bad rep because of his gambling history. Of course because he went bankrupt people will assume he is playing into his 40’s for the money. If he does truly love the game like he says, then it will always be questioned because of financial motives… which is kind of sad if you think about it. No matter how much blood, sweat, or Drakkar he leaves on the ice, it won’t change peoples minds.

• davebabychreturns - Nov 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Haha. I hated this guy for fifteen years until he played on my team for two months.

4. theageofquarrel - Nov 9, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Translated: I will play as long as someone/anyone will pay me. Isn’t he due to have his annual groin injury? The same injury he has had since he played for Pittsburgh.

Also this is how paid is spelled.

5. stakex - Nov 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Anyone who thinks this is about money is crazy. Jagr is one of, if not the, hardest working players in the NHL. You don’t do that if you don’t love what you are doing. I’m sure he wouldn’t turn down the money, but to think that’s why he keeps playing is laughable.

Besides, he could probably make more in the KHL… so if it was about the money he probably wouldn’t be in the NHL right now.

• hockeyflow33 - Nov 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Most former players continue to play anyways so if you can continue to get paid by a pro team why would people have an issue with it?

6. ironman721 - Nov 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM

He will be on the Malkin line come playoff tme.

7. tsac33 - Nov 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Dude can still play at a very high level. Who cares of motive he helps his team.

8. anthj99 - Nov 10, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Unless the Sabres are the only team that’ll sign me, then I’ll retire.

9. bigdicktater - Nov 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM

About 10 years ago I saw him take over what had been a close contest in the third period and just whip my Sabres. It was the most remarkable display on the ice I’ve seen (and no, I never got to see The Great One in person).

Top 10 NHL Player Searches