Nov 8, 2013, 11:36 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr, it seems, isn’t ready to hang up his skates at the end of this season.
Despite being on a struggling New Jersey Devils team, and about to turn 42 years of age in February, Jagr has expressed a desire to keep playing beyond this season.
“I’ll tell you one thing, as long as I don’t die, it’s not my last year of playing hockey,” Jagr told the Courier-Post.
“I don’t know where I’m gonna play. I don’t know if I’m gonna play U.S. or somewhere else. I’m gonna play. I’ll play until I cannot walk. I love the game too much to leave it.”
Jagr was easily the best New Jersey forward in Friday’s 2-1 shootout loss, even if he was held off the score sheet.
In 1,407 regular season games, Jagr has scored 685 goals and 1,699 points. He signed with the Devils as a free agent this summer, putting pen to paper on a one-year deal.
His recent comments are almost a complete turnaround from this summer, when he suggested in August that this could be his final season.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)