Nov 8, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
Just a couple of days ago, Panthers general manager Dale Tallon held a late-night meeting following Florida’s 4-3 overtime loss to Edmonton and decided that head coach Kevin Dineen wouldn’t be fired — yet.
“After 16 games it was clear that our team needed a change in philosophy and direction,” said Tallon.
“We have not met the expectations that we set forth at training camp and it is my responsibility to make the necessary changes to ensure that our club performs at its maximum potential.”
Peter Horachek is coming up from the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage to serve as the interim head coach. He previously worked with the Nashville Predators as an assistant and then associate head coach. It’s worth adding that the Rampage are currently the second-worst team in the AHL Western Conference with a 4-6-1 record.
Dineen spent parts of three seasons with Florida and had a 56-62-28 record. The Panthers finished 30th in the NHL last season, but added some veterans to the mix for the 2013-14 campaign, including forwards Scott Gomez and Brad Boyes and goaltender Tim Thomas. At the same time, they have a young and still-developing core.
Following the Panthers’ 4-1 loss to the Boston Bruins last night, there was a players only meeting that involved a lot of “yelling and cursing.” That underscores the frustration this team is experiencing after going seven straight games without a win.
The 3-9-4 Panthers will attempt to end that streak on Saturday against Ottawa.
Not suggesting anything is imminent, but saying Tallon has tried mighty hard to find a trade fit over last couple of weeks
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) November 8, 2013
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)