Nov 8, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
Just a couple of days ago, Panthers general manager Dale Tallon held a late-night meeting following Florida’s 4-3 overtime loss to Edmonton and decided that head coach Kevin Dineen wouldn’t be fired — yet.
“After 16 games it was clear that our team needed a change in philosophy and direction,” said Tallon.
“We have not met the expectations that we set forth at training camp and it is my responsibility to make the necessary changes to ensure that our club performs at its maximum potential.”
Peter Horachek is coming up from the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage to serve as the interim head coach. He previously worked with the Nashville Predators as an assistant and then associate head coach. It’s worth adding that the Rampage are currently the second-worst team in the AHL Western Conference with a 4-6-1 record.
Dineen spent parts of three seasons with Florida and had a 56-62-28 record. The Panthers finished 30th in the NHL last season, but added some veterans to the mix for the 2013-14 campaign, including forwards Scott Gomez and Brad Boyes and goaltender Tim Thomas. At the same time, they have a young and still-developing core.
Following the Panthers’ 4-1 loss to the Boston Bruins last night, there was a players only meeting that involved a lot of “yelling and cursing.” That underscores the frustration this team is experiencing after going seven straight games without a win.
The 3-9-4 Panthers will attempt to end that streak on Saturday against Ottawa.
Not suggesting anything is imminent, but saying Tallon has tried mighty hard to find a trade fit over last couple of weeks
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) November 8, 2013
Jul 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Along with Yao Ming.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
“Nobody benefits from a short-term deal like this, in particular, our hockey department.”
Jul 30, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Vancouver wasting little time locking up the target of Tuesday’s trade.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Boston could use some depth on its back end.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Hearing is scheduled for Friday at 9 a.m. ET.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Alleged incident involved a female victim.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
As opposed to just his skill.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The former general manager “wasn’t prepared to make the changes that needed to be made.”
Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
The 24-year-old gives agreed to an entry-level deal.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Will he live up to his next contract?
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
“It really wasn’t about Dainius himself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
His collection can be had for $5.7 million.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
The contest will air on Dec. 31 while the Classic itself is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Jan. 1.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Staying healthy would help, too.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
The Seal Beach Detention Center isn’t exactly Shawshank.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
“I relaxed down there and came back with the same attitude and everything kind of took care of itself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Veteran forward had just four goals and six assists in 74 games last season.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
“So hopefully it’s nothing that keeps coming back.”
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 12
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)