Nov 8, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
Just a couple of days ago, Panthers general manager Dale Tallon held a late-night meeting following Florida’s 4-3 overtime loss to Edmonton and decided that head coach Kevin Dineen wouldn’t be fired — yet.
“After 16 games it was clear that our team needed a change in philosophy and direction,” said Tallon.
“We have not met the expectations that we set forth at training camp and it is my responsibility to make the necessary changes to ensure that our club performs at its maximum potential.”
Peter Horachek is coming up from the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage to serve as the interim head coach. He previously worked with the Nashville Predators as an assistant and then associate head coach. It’s worth adding that the Rampage are currently the second-worst team in the AHL Western Conference with a 4-6-1 record.
Dineen spent parts of three seasons with Florida and had a 56-62-28 record. The Panthers finished 30th in the NHL last season, but added some veterans to the mix for the 2013-14 campaign, including forwards Scott Gomez and Brad Boyes and goaltender Tim Thomas. At the same time, they have a young and still-developing core.
Following the Panthers’ 4-1 loss to the Boston Bruins last night, there was a players only meeting that involved a lot of “yelling and cursing.” That underscores the frustration this team is experiencing after going seven straight games without a win.
The 3-9-4 Panthers will attempt to end that streak on Saturday against Ottawa.
Not suggesting anything is imminent, but saying Tallon has tried mighty hard to find a trade fit over last couple of weeks
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) November 8, 2013
Apr 17, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Apr 17, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
It’s a motivation thing.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
He had eight points in 19 games with New York.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
New York, St. Louis, Denver, and San Jose is where it’s at tonight.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
A Tyler Seguin bullet, no less.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:08 AM EDT
A tale of two games, really.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
“We did it time and time again.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
“It’s one that got by him.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT
The trio was big in Wednesday’s Game 1 victory over the Jackets.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
It’s bad enough to inspire Jon Cooper’s pity, though.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
“We aren’t here just to go to school. We’re here to win.”
Apr 16, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
After all that star power in regulation …
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pittsburgh scores three unanswered goals to win.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
The West’s No. 1 seed takes on the final wild card qualifier.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Did the Penguins deserve a power play or penalty shot?
Apr 16, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Get used to these stories of toughness.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
Updated with bonus goals for your enjoyment.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Tomas Plekanec spoils Tampa Bay’s lead.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Unproven goalie vs. a gold-medal goalie in Game 1.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 53
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)