Nov 8, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Ben Bishop wasn’t one of the six goalies invited to August’s U.S. Olympic orientation camp, but that doesn’t mean he won’t have a shot at going to Sochi.
Bishop, the NHL’s tallest netminder, has played himself into Team USA consideration with a banner start to the year, according to American GM David Poile.
“Absolutely,” Poile told the Tampa Bay Times about Bishop being in the mix. “He’s played terrific. He’s definitely on our radar.”
Bishop, 26, currently sits tied for first in the NHL in wins (10) and is tops among American goalies in GAA (2.14) and save percentage (.928). His great start has come as a surprise to many, probably none more than the orientation camp selection committee, who bypassed Bishop in favor of Jonathan Quick, Ryan Miller, Jimmy Howard, Cory Schneider, Craig Anderson and Anaheim prospect John Gibson.
(The Gibson inclusion was interesting because he actually took the No. 1 gig away from Bishop at the 2013 World Hockey Championships and went on to star, backstopping the Americans to bronze.)
It sounds as though Poile’s not just paying the 6-foot-7 Bishop lip service, either. The Nashville GM said that a player’s current form will go a long way in the selection process. Nowhere is that more relevant than in goal, where a hot netminder can essentially win you the tournament.
“Especially for goalies, we need guys who are playing well this year,” Poile said. “Certainly that favors somebody like Ben with how he’s playing.”
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)