Nov 7, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
On Thursday, Brough and I looked ahead to next week’s NHL GM meetings and discussed the two (likely) major topics at hand — fighting, and trades.
On the first topic, we discussed what might be done in the wake of Ray Emery jumping Braden Holtby.
After NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said he didn’t “think anybody liked it,” and NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan said he hated it, it stands to reason some adjustments might be made — like, as we suggest, using “heightened sensitivity” on the already-existing aggressor rule, much like how the NHL used “heightened sensitivity” with regards to goaltender protection following the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller incident of 2011.
On the second topic, we looked at two teams in desperate need of goaltending: Edmonton and the New York Islanders.
Will GMs Craig MacTavish and Garth Snow use next week’s meetings as an opportunity to kick the tires on a new netminder?
Go on, have a watch:
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)