Nov 7, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
On Thursday, Brough and I looked ahead to next week’s NHL GM meetings and discussed the two (likely) major topics at hand — fighting, and trades.
On the first topic, we discussed what might be done in the wake of Ray Emery jumping Braden Holtby.
After NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said he didn’t “think anybody liked it,” and NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan said he hated it, it stands to reason some adjustments might be made — like, as we suggest, using “heightened sensitivity” on the already-existing aggressor rule, much like how the NHL used “heightened sensitivity” with regards to goaltender protection following the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller incident of 2011.
On the second topic, we looked at two teams in desperate need of goaltending: Edmonton and the New York Islanders.
Will GMs Craig MacTavish and Garth Snow use next week’s meetings as an opportunity to kick the tires on a new netminder?
Go on, have a watch:
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 6
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 48
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 39
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (48)