Nov 7, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
On Thursday, Brough and I looked ahead to next week’s NHL GM meetings and discussed the two (likely) major topics at hand — fighting, and trades.
On the first topic, we discussed what might be done in the wake of Ray Emery jumping Braden Holtby.
After NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said he didn’t “think anybody liked it,” and NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan said he hated it, it stands to reason some adjustments might be made — like, as we suggest, using “heightened sensitivity” on the already-existing aggressor rule, much like how the NHL used “heightened sensitivity” with regards to goaltender protection following the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller incident of 2011.
On the second topic, we looked at two teams in desperate need of goaltending: Edmonton and the New York Islanders.
Will GMs Craig MacTavish and Garth Snow use next week’s meetings as an opportunity to kick the tires on a new netminder?
Go on, have a watch:
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)