Nov 7, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins raised some eyebrows on Thursday, signing noted pugilist Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond to a two year deal.
It’s a two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level, and runs through the 2014-15 campaign.
Letourneau-Leblond, 28, has been with Pittsburgh’s AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season, notching one assist and 42 PIM in 11 games.
As mentioned above, “PL3″ made his mark in professional hockey with his fists. He fought a staggering 48 times in the AHL from 2010-12 and, while he’s only appeared in 40 NHL contests, has still managed to rack up over 100 penalty minutes.
Letourneau-Leblond is best known for this lengthy fight vs. fellow tough guy Cam Janssen in 2010:
“We both connected with a couple and I think I’m deaf in my left ear now,” Janssen said afterward. “But that’s the way it is. The boys’ said my lips were blue when I went to the penalty box, but that’s the way we do it and it was fun.
“We’re both warriors going at it and we love it.”
It’s worth noting the Pens haven’t had any issues dropping the gloves this year — as a team, they’ve already fought 10 times in 16 games with Tanner Glass leading the way with three scraps.
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 0
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 58
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)