Nov 7, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins raised some eyebrows on Thursday, signing noted pugilist Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond to a two year deal.
It’s a two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level, and runs through the 2014-15 campaign.
Letourneau-Leblond, 28, has been with Pittsburgh’s AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season, notching one assist and 42 PIM in 11 games.
As mentioned above, “PL3″ made his mark in professional hockey with his fists. He fought a staggering 48 times in the AHL from 2010-12 and, while he’s only appeared in 40 NHL contests, has still managed to rack up over 100 penalty minutes.
Letourneau-Leblond is best known for this lengthy fight vs. fellow tough guy Cam Janssen in 2010:
“We both connected with a couple and I think I’m deaf in my left ear now,” Janssen said afterward. “But that’s the way it is. The boys’ said my lips were blue when I went to the penalty box, but that’s the way we do it and it was fun.
“We’re both warriors going at it and we love it.”
It’s worth noting the Pens haven’t had any issues dropping the gloves this year — as a team, they’ve already fought 10 times in 16 games with Tanner Glass leading the way with three scraps.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 1
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 26
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)