Nov 7, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins raised some eyebrows on Thursday, signing noted pugilist Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond to a two year deal.
It’s a two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level, and runs through the 2014-15 campaign.
Letourneau-Leblond, 28, has been with Pittsburgh’s AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season, notching one assist and 42 PIM in 11 games.
As mentioned above, “PL3″ made his mark in professional hockey with his fists. He fought a staggering 48 times in the AHL from 2010-12 and, while he’s only appeared in 40 NHL contests, has still managed to rack up over 100 penalty minutes.
Letourneau-Leblond is best known for this lengthy fight vs. fellow tough guy Cam Janssen in 2010:
“We both connected with a couple and I think I’m deaf in my left ear now,” Janssen said afterward. “But that’s the way it is. The boys’ said my lips were blue when I went to the penalty box, but that’s the way we do it and it was fun.
“We’re both warriors going at it and we love it.”
It’s worth noting the Pens haven’t had any issues dropping the gloves this year — as a team, they’ve already fought 10 times in 16 games with Tanner Glass leading the way with three scraps.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 47
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)