Nov 7, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins raised some eyebrows on Thursday, signing noted pugilist Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond to a two year deal.
It’s a two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level, and runs through the 2014-15 campaign.
Letourneau-Leblond, 28, has been with Pittsburgh’s AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season, notching one assist and 42 PIM in 11 games.
As mentioned above, “PL3″ made his mark in professional hockey with his fists. He fought a staggering 48 times in the AHL from 2010-12 and, while he’s only appeared in 40 NHL contests, has still managed to rack up over 100 penalty minutes.
Letourneau-Leblond is best known for this lengthy fight vs. fellow tough guy Cam Janssen in 2010:
“We both connected with a couple and I think I’m deaf in my left ear now,” Janssen said afterward. “But that’s the way it is. The boys’ said my lips were blue when I went to the penalty box, but that’s the way we do it and it was fun.
“We’re both warriors going at it and we love it.”
It’s worth noting the Pens haven’t had any issues dropping the gloves this year — as a team, they’ve already fought 10 times in 16 games with Tanner Glass leading the way with three scraps.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)