Nov 7, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins raised some eyebrows on Thursday, signing noted pugilist Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond to a two year deal.
It’s a two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level, and runs through the 2014-15 campaign.
Letourneau-Leblond, 28, has been with Pittsburgh’s AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season, notching one assist and 42 PIM in 11 games.
As mentioned above, “PL3″ made his mark in professional hockey with his fists. He fought a staggering 48 times in the AHL from 2010-12 and, while he’s only appeared in 40 NHL contests, has still managed to rack up over 100 penalty minutes.
Letourneau-Leblond is best known for this lengthy fight vs. fellow tough guy Cam Janssen in 2010:
“We both connected with a couple and I think I’m deaf in my left ear now,” Janssen said afterward. “But that’s the way it is. The boys’ said my lips were blue when I went to the penalty box, but that’s the way we do it and it was fun.
“We’re both warriors going at it and we love it.”
It’s worth noting the Pens haven’t had any issues dropping the gloves this year — as a team, they’ve already fought 10 times in 16 games with Tanner Glass leading the way with three scraps.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)