Nov 7, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings will have an unfamiliar face in the lineup tonight.
Linden Vey, the club’s fourth-round pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, will make his big-league debut on Thursday when the Kings host the Sabres at Staples.
Vey, 22, has been one of the most consistent forwards for AHL Manchester this season, racking up 11 points in 10 games for the Monarchs. With the Kings banged up at forward — Jarret Stoll and Jeff Carter are out of action — the hope is that Vey’s offensive success at the AHL level can translate to the NHL.
Of course, Vey will have to deal with the nerves of his NHL debut first.
“You just got to think of it as just another hockey game,” Vey said, as per NHL.com. “Obviously it’s a little more than that. I’ve been playing ever since I was 4 years old and I’m looking forward to this.
“I think there will be a little bit of nerves the first shift, but once I get into it I’ll be fine.”
Vey will likely open on the fourth line tonight, centering Kyle Clifford and Jordan Nolan. Vey’s linemate in Manchester — Tyler Toffoli — will play on the Kings’ second line tonight, alongside Mike Richards and Dwight King.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)