Nov 7, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings will have an unfamiliar face in the lineup tonight.
Linden Vey, the club’s fourth-round pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, will make his big-league debut on Thursday when the Kings host the Sabres at Staples.
Vey, 22, has been one of the most consistent forwards for AHL Manchester this season, racking up 11 points in 10 games for the Monarchs. With the Kings banged up at forward — Jarret Stoll and Jeff Carter are out of action — the hope is that Vey’s offensive success at the AHL level can translate to the NHL.
Of course, Vey will have to deal with the nerves of his NHL debut first.
“You just got to think of it as just another hockey game,” Vey said, as per NHL.com. “Obviously it’s a little more than that. I’ve been playing ever since I was 4 years old and I’m looking forward to this.
“I think there will be a little bit of nerves the first shift, but once I get into it I’ll be fine.”
Vey will likely open on the fourth line tonight, centering Kyle Clifford and Jordan Nolan. Vey’s linemate in Manchester — Tyler Toffoli — will play on the Kings’ second line tonight, alongside Mike Richards and Dwight King.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)