Nov 7, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings will have an unfamiliar face in the lineup tonight.
Linden Vey, the club’s fourth-round pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, will make his big-league debut on Thursday when the Kings host the Sabres at Staples.
Vey, 22, has been one of the most consistent forwards for AHL Manchester this season, racking up 11 points in 10 games for the Monarchs. With the Kings banged up at forward — Jarret Stoll and Jeff Carter are out of action — the hope is that Vey’s offensive success at the AHL level can translate to the NHL.
Of course, Vey will have to deal with the nerves of his NHL debut first.
“You just got to think of it as just another hockey game,” Vey said, as per NHL.com. “Obviously it’s a little more than that. I’ve been playing ever since I was 4 years old and I’m looking forward to this.
“I think there will be a little bit of nerves the first shift, but once I get into it I’ll be fine.”
Vey will likely open on the fourth line tonight, centering Kyle Clifford and Jordan Nolan. Vey’s linemate in Manchester — Tyler Toffoli — will play on the Kings’ second line tonight, alongside Mike Richards and Dwight King.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)