Nov 7, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings will have an unfamiliar face in the lineup tonight.
Linden Vey, the club’s fourth-round pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, will make his big-league debut on Thursday when the Kings host the Sabres at Staples.
Vey, 22, has been one of the most consistent forwards for AHL Manchester this season, racking up 11 points in 10 games for the Monarchs. With the Kings banged up at forward — Jarret Stoll and Jeff Carter are out of action — the hope is that Vey’s offensive success at the AHL level can translate to the NHL.
Of course, Vey will have to deal with the nerves of his NHL debut first.
“You just got to think of it as just another hockey game,” Vey said, as per NHL.com. “Obviously it’s a little more than that. I’ve been playing ever since I was 4 years old and I’m looking forward to this.
“I think there will be a little bit of nerves the first shift, but once I get into it I’ll be fine.”
Vey will likely open on the fourth line tonight, centering Kyle Clifford and Jordan Nolan. Vey’s linemate in Manchester — Tyler Toffoli — will play on the Kings’ second line tonight, alongside Mike Richards and Dwight King.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)