Nov 7, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
Some news and notes from the blue paint…
Talbot starts for New York
Henrik Lundqvist gets a breather after starring in a 5-1 win over Pittsburgh on Wednesday, as the Rangers will give rookie Cam Talbot the start tonight in Columbus. Talbot has done well since inheriting the Rangers’ backup gig from Martin Biron, going 2-1-0 with a 1.96 GAA and .929 save percentage.
Tonight, Talbot will face a tough test as Columbus counters with the reigning Veniza Trophy winner, Sergei Bobrovsky.
Harding goes again
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
That’s what Minnesota appears to be doing at the moment as Josh Harding will look for his sixth straight win tonight against Washington. Harding is coming off a stellar performance on Tuesday vs. Calgary — stopping 25 of 26 shots in a 5-1 win — and comes into Thursday’s game boasting great numbers across the board: 8-2-1 record, 1.09 GAA, .951 save percentage.
For Washington, Braden Holtby will get the nod after playing well lately, having won six of his last eight starts.
– As we reported earlier, Kevin Poulin gets the start for the Islanders tonight against the ‘Canes, who will counter with Justin Peters.
– Martin Brodeur is in net for the Devils tonight against Philly, but the Flyers have yet to officially name their starter. CSN Philly’s Sarah Baicker reports Ray Emery will get the nod over Steve Mason.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 7
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 16
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)