Nov 7, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
If only the Philadelphia Flyers had acquired goaltender Steve Mason in January, they might have made the playoffs in the shortened campaign. If only they would provide him with some offensive support now, they’d have a far better record than 4-9-1.
The Flyers rank dead last in the NHL with an average of 1.57 goals per game. Obviously, they’ve already frequently mixed up their lines with limited success, but Flyers coach Craig Berube now seems to be trying to spark his team by putting them in familiar situations.
Voracek and Giroux had plenty of success last season, but Voracek has had a fair number of different linemates already this season. At the same time, this will be far from the first time the duo has played together in 2013-14 and nothing has broken Giroux out of his goal scoring drought.
In fact, Giroux’s inability to score in any situation is a microcosm of the Flyers’ problems. Ultimately, there’s only so much Berube can do to fix this.
“At some point, they need to start producing,” Berube said simply, although he’s still hopeful that the familiarity will help them this time around.
Speaking of familiar, Vincent Lecavalier will shift from the right wing back to center.
“I just wanted to get Vinny back in the middle,” Berube explained. “It gets him some freedom to skate a little bit more and get moving and just trying to create some offense five-on-five here.”
The Flyers will try out these combinations against the New Jersey Devils tonight. The Devils have been shutout of back-to-back games, including their recent contest against Philadelphia, so this has the makings of a low-scoring game. While the Flyers will gladly take two points any way they can get them, at some point, their offense needs to show signs of thawing.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)