Nov 7, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
It’s been almost three weeks since we wrote our “How are they doing it?” post on the Anaheim Ducks. And guess what? They’re still doing it.
Winning, that is.
The Ducks (13-3-2) beat Phoenix, 5-2, on Wednesday for their third win in a row and sixth in seven.
One player we didn’t mention in the above-mentioned post was defenseman Bryan Allen. But Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau sure didn’t overlook the 33-year-old veteran when he spoke recently with ESPN.com.
“I am so happy with Bryan Allen,” Boudreau said. “To me he’s been our best defenseman all year. This year, it’s like a total rejuvenation. He feels comfortable, he’s playing important minutes, he’s played along young kids [mostly with Sami Vatanen this season].
“Bryan has done so many good things. I’ve been so impressed with him, probably more than anybody else on our team.”
It’s a bit odd that Boudreau would call Allen the Ducks’ “best defenseman all year,” given Allen is fifth among Anaheim blue-liners in average ice time (18:48) — but hey, it’s a nice compliment all the same.
A former fourth overall pick (in 1998), Allen has been sort of a forgotten man in recent seasons, which we suppose can happen when you play in places like Anaheim, Carolina and Florida.
The Ducks host Buffalo Friday and Vancouver Sunday.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)