Nov 7, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
It’s been almost three weeks since we wrote our “How are they doing it?” post on the Anaheim Ducks. And guess what? They’re still doing it.
Winning, that is.
The Ducks (13-3-2) beat Phoenix, 5-2, on Wednesday for their third win in a row and sixth in seven.
One player we didn’t mention in the above-mentioned post was defenseman Bryan Allen. But Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau sure didn’t overlook the 33-year-old veteran when he spoke recently with ESPN.com.
“I am so happy with Bryan Allen,” Boudreau said. “To me he’s been our best defenseman all year. This year, it’s like a total rejuvenation. He feels comfortable, he’s playing important minutes, he’s played along young kids [mostly with Sami Vatanen this season].
“Bryan has done so many good things. I’ve been so impressed with him, probably more than anybody else on our team.”
It’s a bit odd that Boudreau would call Allen the Ducks’ “best defenseman all year,” given Allen is fifth among Anaheim blue-liners in average ice time (18:48) — but hey, it’s a nice compliment all the same.
A former fourth overall pick (in 1998), Allen has been sort of a forgotten man in recent seasons, which we suppose can happen when you play in places like Anaheim, Carolina and Florida.
The Ducks host Buffalo Friday and Vancouver Sunday.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 6
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)