Nov 7, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
It’s been almost three weeks since we wrote our “How are they doing it?” post on the Anaheim Ducks. And guess what? They’re still doing it.
Winning, that is.
The Ducks (13-3-2) beat Phoenix, 5-2, on Wednesday for their third win in a row and sixth in seven.
One player we didn’t mention in the above-mentioned post was defenseman Bryan Allen. But Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau sure didn’t overlook the 33-year-old veteran when he spoke recently with ESPN.com.
“I am so happy with Bryan Allen,” Boudreau said. “To me he’s been our best defenseman all year. This year, it’s like a total rejuvenation. He feels comfortable, he’s playing important minutes, he’s played along young kids [mostly with Sami Vatanen this season].
“Bryan has done so many good things. I’ve been so impressed with him, probably more than anybody else on our team.”
It’s a bit odd that Boudreau would call Allen the Ducks’ “best defenseman all year,” given Allen is fifth among Anaheim blue-liners in average ice time (18:48) — but hey, it’s a nice compliment all the same.
A former fourth overall pick (in 1998), Allen has been sort of a forgotten man in recent seasons, which we suppose can happen when you play in places like Anaheim, Carolina and Florida.
The Ducks host Buffalo Friday and Vancouver Sunday.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)