Nov 7, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
It’s been almost three weeks since we wrote our “How are they doing it?” post on the Anaheim Ducks. And guess what? They’re still doing it.
Winning, that is.
The Ducks (13-3-2) beat Phoenix, 5-2, on Wednesday for their third win in a row and sixth in seven.
One player we didn’t mention in the above-mentioned post was defenseman Bryan Allen. But Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau sure didn’t overlook the 33-year-old veteran when he spoke recently with ESPN.com.
“I am so happy with Bryan Allen,” Boudreau said. “To me he’s been our best defenseman all year. This year, it’s like a total rejuvenation. He feels comfortable, he’s playing important minutes, he’s played along young kids [mostly with Sami Vatanen this season].
“Bryan has done so many good things. I’ve been so impressed with him, probably more than anybody else on our team.”
It’s a bit odd that Boudreau would call Allen the Ducks’ “best defenseman all year,” given Allen is fifth among Anaheim blue-liners in average ice time (18:48) — but hey, it’s a nice compliment all the same.
A former fourth overall pick (in 1998), Allen has been sort of a forgotten man in recent seasons, which we suppose can happen when you play in places like Anaheim, Carolina and Florida.
The Ducks host Buffalo Friday and Vancouver Sunday.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)