Nov 7, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
We’re not sure if this qualifies as a goalie controversy quite yet, but tonight in Carolina, Kevin Poulin will make his second start in the Islanders’ past three games.
In Poulin’s last outing, on Saturday versus Boston, he stopped 26 of 27 shots in a 3-1 victory over the Bruins. However, despite that solid effort, Isles head coach Jack Capuano went back to regular starter Evgeni Nabokov Tuesday in Washington, where the 38-year-old veteran allowed six goals on 39 shots in a 6-2 defeat.
Nabokov’s struggles (5-4-3, .897 SV%) have many Isles fans calling for Capuano to give 23-year-old Poulin (1-2-0, .907) more time in the net. (That, or they’re calling for general manager Garth Snow to make a trade for a goalie.)
Combined, Nabokov and Poulin have registered a .897 save percentage, which ranks the Isles 26th in the NHL. With the Rangers showing signs of life recently, the Isles’ hold on a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference has become a tenuous one.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)