Nov 7, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
We’re not sure if this qualifies as a goalie controversy quite yet, but tonight in Carolina, Kevin Poulin will make his second start in the Islanders’ past three games.
In Poulin’s last outing, on Saturday versus Boston, he stopped 26 of 27 shots in a 3-1 victory over the Bruins. However, despite that solid effort, Isles head coach Jack Capuano went back to regular starter Evgeni Nabokov Tuesday in Washington, where the 38-year-old veteran allowed six goals on 39 shots in a 6-2 defeat.
Nabokov’s struggles (5-4-3, .897 SV%) have many Isles fans calling for Capuano to give 23-year-old Poulin (1-2-0, .907) more time in the net. (That, or they’re calling for general manager Garth Snow to make a trade for a goalie.)
Combined, Nabokov and Poulin have registered a .897 save percentage, which ranks the Isles 26th in the NHL. With the Rangers showing signs of life recently, the Isles’ hold on a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference has become a tenuous one.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)