Nov 6, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets haven’t earned a point in 12 days.
Losers of four straight in regulation — their last win came on Oct. 25 against Toronto — the Blue Jackets were visibly frustrated following Tuesday’s 4-1 home defeat to Ottawa, none more so than head coach Todd Richards.
“We all have to look in the mirror, take a good look at our games,” Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “We have to be better.”
Citing a lack of confidence and mounting frustration, Richards said the Jackets are struggling all over. And for the most part, he’s right — the club has been outscored 15-6 over the last four games and its goals allowed per game average (2.86) is way up from last year’s 2.40.
Which brings us to perhaps the biggest reason for Columbus’ struggles thus far — the play of goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky.
The reigning Vezina winner has been mediocre to start the year, going 4-7-0 with a 2.79 GAA and .910 save percentage. He’s allowed four goals four different times already and has been benched for each of the last two games in favor of backup Curtis McElhinney.
“This is the first year where [Bobrovsky's] come in as an anointed No. 1 goaltender with huge expectations, and he’s a young player still,” goalie coach Ian Clark told the Dispatch. “It’s a matter of getting acclimatized to the complexion of this marathon season.
“We all know how much work he does off the ice. That’s well-documented. We’re working on finding a good balance between all of that work to ensure that his energy, focus and concentration are hitting a peak for game nights and he’s not expending them elsewhere where it’s not as productive.”
The Jackets will need Bobrovsky to return to form, though, and soon.
Following a two-game home set against the Rangers and Islanders on Nov. 7 and 9, the Jackets head out on a tough road swing that sees them play in Washington, Boston, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto between Nov. 12-25.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)