Nov 6, 2013, 11:55 AM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets haven’t earned a point in 12 days.
Losers of four straight in regulation — their last win came on Oct. 25 against Toronto — the Blue Jackets were visibly frustrated following Tuesday’s 4-1 home defeat to Ottawa, none more so than head coach Todd Richards.
“We all have to look in the mirror, take a good look at our games,” Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “We have to be better.”
Citing a lack of confidence and mounting frustration, Richards said the Jackets are struggling all over. And for the most part, he’s right — the club has been outscored 15-6 over the last four games and its goals allowed per game average (2.86) is way up from last year’s 2.40.
Which brings us to perhaps the biggest reason for Columbus’ struggles thus far — the play of goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky.
The reigning Vezina winner has been mediocre to start the year, going 4-7-0 with a 2.79 GAA and .910 save percentage. He’s allowed four goals four different times already and has been benched for each of the last two games in favor of backup Curtis McElhinney.
“This is the first year where [Bobrovsky’s] come in as an anointed No. 1 goaltender with huge expectations, and he’s a young player still,” goalie coach Ian Clark told the Dispatch. “It’s a matter of getting acclimatized to the complexion of this marathon season.
“We all know how much work he does off the ice. That’s well-documented. We’re working on finding a good balance between all of that work to ensure that his energy, focus and concentration are hitting a peak for game nights and he’s not expending them elsewhere where it’s not as productive.”
The Jackets will need Bobrovsky to return to form, though, and soon.
Following a two-game home set against the Rangers and Islanders on Nov. 7 and 9, the Jackets head out on a tough road swing that sees them play in Washington, Boston, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto between Nov. 12-25.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)