No hearing scheduled for Seidenberg after hit on Fiddler

Nov 6, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

“Nothing scheduled at the moment” was the response we got from the NHL with regards to a possible disciplinary hearing for Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg after his hit on Stars forward Vernon Fiddler last night in Boston.

Even B’s play-by-play man Jack Edwards, not exactly the most ardent critic of the team, noted that Seidenberg “caught some head” on the hit.

But was it suspension-worthy?

Here’s the new, slightly altered Rule 48 — Illegal Check to the Head — as taken from NHL commissioner Gary Bettman’s ruling on the Patrick Kaleta appeal (PDF)

source:

So perhaps the NHL felt Seidenberg “attempted to hit squarely through” Fiddler’s body. If the league did indeed see it that way, we wouldn’t necessarily disagree.

1. mpops86 - Nov 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Not sure why this prompted a post, I don’t see anything wrong with the hit. Seidenberg caught Fiddler squarely and with plenty of warning, he just happened to catch him on the head because of the way Fiddler stopped. If Fiddler weren’t trying to duck the hit, he probably would have been safer.

• imleftcoast - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Buck Foston

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Pleanty of time to avoid? I’m not a Dallas fan nor a Boston hater, but Fiddler was focused on playing the puck. Insects have multi-segmented eyes, people don’t. Sure we have peripheral vision, but of your focus is elsewhere, you may not fully grasp details about someone moving in fast peripherally. Hummans unfortunately have huma limitations.

And I saw an elbow extension.

2. hockey412 - Nov 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM

These comments ought to be good…and not the least bit hypocritical. I’d bet a million dollars that everyone in Boston thought that was a clean hit…let’s see…..

• mgp1219 - Nov 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM

And I bet everyone in Montreal thinks Seidenberg should be put in jail. Or was it Chara’s fault?

• raiderufan - Nov 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I’m a Bruins fan and watching the play at full speed live it looked clean…after the replay was shown head was obviously contacted but the intent seemed clean, if that makes any sense.

It looks reviewable but with those provisions to the rule I don’t know that it’s a suspendable hit. Certainly not more than 1 game.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM

TROLLING.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I bet everyone but you and about 5 others think this was a clean hit. Gotta let last year go. You got swept. Principle point of contact was the number in his chest.

I know everyone is different pertaining to head shots, but Seidenberg is a tank. If he hit Fiddler straight in the head – as a principle point of contact; Fiddler is hurt and hurt bad.

To me this is the rule working. Lowered the shoulder, kept the elbow, didn’t leave his feet. Hit him, didn’t try to end his career.

Bottom line is Fiddler nor the Stars have said anything about the hit.

• hockey412 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I actually didn’t think it suspension worthy, by any means. Hit to the head, you’re damn skippy it was. I was simply narrating what was about to be the most hypocritical rant about how THIS headshot was legal, and ethical, while all others against the B’s were from dirty, dirty players. That’s all. It is all pretty much like clockwork, after any bad Bruins play. And this was a bad Bruins play.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM

It wasn’t a bad play. I can show you 5 hits a game (for and against Boston) where the head has contact made. You are trolling, and big time. it’s sad.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I mean honestly if you don’t think it was suspension worthy why write

“These comments ought to be good…and not the least bit hypocritical. I’d bet a million dollars that everyone in Boston thought that was a clean hit…let’s see…”

by not thinking it deserves a suspension; it indicates a clean and acceptable hit, so you are trolling. thanks. how you gonna wiggle out of this one?

• hockey412 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

It was a bad play – the dude hit the puckhandler in the head. That’s a bad play. I can “wiggle out” by saying that while it was a bad hit, it wasn’t suspension worthy. But that does not make it a clean hit. The hypocrisy comes into play when someone gets hit in the head and the fans say “that wasn’t a bad play”. Puhlease.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

weak.

• hockey412 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

You are EXACTLY what my original post was about, Savard. I’m actually only surprised there aren’t more of you, there normally are. Anyway, it’s been fun. Enjoy your delusion.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

You started trolling.

If it wasn’t a clean hit, it was a dirty hit. a hit to the head. a hit to the head warrants a suspension. (principle point of contact, unavoidable, the RULE).

It is either an ok hit with no suspension or a dirty hit with suspension.

you said; you didn’t think it deserved a suspension.

end of story. stop.

again, nothing from Fiddler or Dallas.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Please see AVSCUP comments a little further down if you get confused.

• dropthepuckeh - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM

The most predictable part of this forum is that if there is an article about the Bruins, hockey412 will be all over it complaining about the Bruins and their fans. Give it a rest bro.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I am beginning to think 412 may actually be Mario trying to justify his whining.

• sabatimus - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Show me the money, then. I think what Seidenberg did warrants at least a fine or a game off.

• justinhbhb - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yup, your right hockey 412. BIG BAD BRUINS right? Very few of them can own up to the fact that theyre style of game leaves a big opportunity for dirty/bad hits

3. kingcobraman - Nov 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM

that was all head, but its a hockey play… he didn’t premeditate ,he didn’t blindside him that’s hockey and that’s paying the price…

• hockey412 - Nov 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

And that’s against the rules if the hit was avoidable, which it clearly was. The rules are posted in the article above.

• kingcobraman - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM

wawaawaa .full speed contact sport… i suggest curling for you…

• hockey412 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Thanks kingcobraman for allowing me to prove my point…now, could you tell me your thoughts on Cooke’s hit on Savard, given your previous input?

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

He hits him with the #44; Not the gold part of the jersey. Looks like the gold part – if it was it would be a penalty, but it was his number.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM

He also put himself in a vulnerable position. The level of his head changes as he approaches the boards and he slams on the breaks. Watch it in full speed no slow mo.

• hockey412 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

So did Savard.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

LOL. I like when you lose credibility on your own.

You love Trolling.

They changed the rules and the culture of the game after the Cooke hit.

You really have it out for Boston huh? Tough when your all star team gets swept huh?

• avscup - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Sorry, you don’t understand the speed of the game. Hit was clean, contact to the head is not always punishable. There appears no intent to hit the face, the hit was set up cleanly, and carried out cleanly. Fiddler got right up and skated away and right past Seidenberg. He didn;t even think it was dirty!

Stop the whining. hockey is for tough guys, not whiners.

• avscup - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Sorry, you don’t understand the speed of the game. Hit was clean, contact to the head is not always punishable. There appears no intent to hit the face, the hit was set up cleanly, and carried out cleanly. Fiddler got right up and skated away and right past Seidenberg. He didn’t even think it was dirty!

Stop the whining. hockey is for tough guys, not whiners.

• hockey412 - Nov 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Right…contact to the head is not always punishable. A hit to the head that is avoidable is not clean though. I don’t think anyone is whining about the hit, just commenting on the hypocrisy. Cooke’s hit on Savard wasn’t punishable either…and it wasn’t punished, either. When it comes to Bruins fans, it’s just laughable that NO bruin makes a bad play – ever – even a hit to the head. However, EVERY other team makes bad plays to them. It’s like 100k Marchands running around talking. Often. And for too long. See Peppers comments above.

And I do understand the speed of the game, shmo.

4. sjsharks66 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM

He hits him in the chin but it is accidental. He leans down a bit and puts himself in a SLIGHTLY awkward situation.

5. muckleflugga - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM

the hit clearly impaired fiddler’s ability to go backhand shelf on the penalty shot awarded after guess who dragged him down

nothing in this by way of discipline [ raffi on the other hand, would have gotten two years in jail ]

6. buddysguys - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

i say this everytime one of these articles are posted. If they don’t want the risk of being injured go do something that is actually useful to soceity not play a game for millions. Goes for every sport. Athletes are as replaceable as actors.

7. bruinsfan55 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I was at the game last night and I didn’t even see this happen. The only thing I saw last night was when Eriksson got hit from behind I’m not sure who hit him

• supercoop8 - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM

They showed a replay of the Eriksson hit during the game, it was from behind but the defender held up a bit and didn’t really drive him toward the boards viciously; it could have been a two minute penalty but also a good non-call in a physical game. Which also is how I’d describe the Seidenberg hit, could’ve been two for roughing at the ref’s discretion.

8. bufffalojoe - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Are you fing kindling me? Kaleta looses his job off something like this John Scott suspended 7 games for this, chara hits the head and nothing now this and nothing? Complain about refs not calling games the same way well it start higher up with suspensions only to help favor teams. This league has become a joke if you call one you call them all if a head hit is a suspension then suspend all who hit the head.

• pepper2011 - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

It must be tough to be a Sabres fan. Kaleta did not lose his job for this. He has an entire career of being a pathetic excuse for a Hockey player. John Scott is a useless goon. those two guys not in your lineup is addition by subtraction. More ice time for someone who may actually turn into a hockey player.

Every other team in the league had the chance to put a claim in on Kaleta. They didn’t. Cause nobody wants him.

9. AppealToReason - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I don’t get how Edler gets suspended but Seidenberg doesn’t even get a hearing.

10. elvispocomo - Nov 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I’ll skip over the crazies already posting multiple times so far and leave my own comment.

Any and all contact to the head isn’t illegal. This appears to me to be a hit squarely through the body where the head was also contacted. Fiddler was playing the puck and Seidenberg keeps his feet on the ice and his elbow in. No issue for me, I think it’s fine.

11. amityvillefun - Nov 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Pepper2011 is correct. Nobody would trade a bag of pucks for Kaleta.

John Scott’s only “talent” is fighting and taking out players way more talented than himself.

12. ndrick731 - Nov 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Typical NHL – Brendan Shanahan inconsistency

13. tdrusher225 - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

This is ridiculous. Why does the guy who lowers himself and puts his head in a vulnerable position have no responsibility to bear? If this is not good hit (personally I think it is), then it is at least not worthy of any kind of supplemental discipline.

14. spitfisher - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I have come to the conclusion there are several people on this board, that have taken a head shot themselves without any helmet on. Clean hit, no fine, no complaint, no review by NHL, play continued, no complaint by fiddler…….move on people.

Hockey412 = Hopelessly antagonist, Parents ignored him as child. Given the chance he’ll argue against his own point- if people would listen to him. Can’t walk by a mirror without looking in it.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive