Nov 6, 2013, 4:59 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed center Jerred Smithson to a contract for the remainder of the season, the club announced today.
From the release:
Smithson, 34, has played seven games with the Toronto Marlies this season, posting one goal and eight penalty minutes. The native of Vernon, British Columbia signed a Professional Tryout Contract with the Marlies on October 16.
Smithson split the 2012-13 season with the Florida Panthers and Edmonton Oilers, registering three goals and three assists for six points with 12 penalty minutes in 45 games. He ranked 13th in the NHL in faceoff percentage (55.4%) last season and has finished as high as sixth overall in that category (57.4% in 2010-11).
Smithson joins a Leafs squad that’s dealing with injuries to two of its top three centers, Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Related: Leafs experiment with JVR at center
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)