Nov 6, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed center Jerred Smithson to a contract for the remainder of the season, the club announced today.
From the release:
Smithson, 34, has played seven games with the Toronto Marlies this season, posting one goal and eight penalty minutes. The native of Vernon, British Columbia signed a Professional Tryout Contract with the Marlies on October 16.
Smithson split the 2012-13 season with the Florida Panthers and Edmonton Oilers, registering three goals and three assists for six points with 12 penalty minutes in 45 games. He ranked 13th in the NHL in faceoff percentage (55.4%) last season and has finished as high as sixth overall in that category (57.4% in 2010-11).
Smithson joins a Leafs squad that’s dealing with injuries to two of its top three centers, Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Smithson is very, very good on faceoffs but at 34 has slowed down. He'll be a fourth line option only for Leafs.—
James Mirtle (@mirtle) November 06, 2013
Related: Leafs experiment with JVR at center
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 0
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 35
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)