Nov 6, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed center Jerred Smithson to a contract for the remainder of the season, the club announced today.
From the release:
Smithson, 34, has played seven games with the Toronto Marlies this season, posting one goal and eight penalty minutes. The native of Vernon, British Columbia signed a Professional Tryout Contract with the Marlies on October 16.
Smithson split the 2012-13 season with the Florida Panthers and Edmonton Oilers, registering three goals and three assists for six points with 12 penalty minutes in 45 games. He ranked 13th in the NHL in faceoff percentage (55.4%) last season and has finished as high as sixth overall in that category (57.4% in 2010-11).
Smithson joins a Leafs squad that’s dealing with injuries to two of its top three centers, Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Related: Leafs experiment with JVR at center
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)