Nov 6, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed center Jerred Smithson to a contract for the remainder of the season, the club announced today.
From the release:
Smithson, 34, has played seven games with the Toronto Marlies this season, posting one goal and eight penalty minutes. The native of Vernon, British Columbia signed a Professional Tryout Contract with the Marlies on October 16.
Smithson split the 2012-13 season with the Florida Panthers and Edmonton Oilers, registering three goals and three assists for six points with 12 penalty minutes in 45 games. He ranked 13th in the NHL in faceoff percentage (55.4%) last season and has finished as high as sixth overall in that category (57.4% in 2010-11).
Smithson joins a Leafs squad that’s dealing with injuries to two of its top three centers, Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Related: Leafs experiment with JVR at center
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)