Nov 6, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed center Jerred Smithson to a contract for the remainder of the season, the club announced today.
From the release:
Smithson, 34, has played seven games with the Toronto Marlies this season, posting one goal and eight penalty minutes. The native of Vernon, British Columbia signed a Professional Tryout Contract with the Marlies on October 16.
Smithson split the 2012-13 season with the Florida Panthers and Edmonton Oilers, registering three goals and three assists for six points with 12 penalty minutes in 45 games. He ranked 13th in the NHL in faceoff percentage (55.4%) last season and has finished as high as sixth overall in that category (57.4% in 2010-11).
Smithson joins a Leafs squad that’s dealing with injuries to two of its top three centers, Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Smithson is very, very good on faceoffs but at 34 has slowed down. He'll be a fourth line option only for Leafs.—
James Mirtle (@mirtle) November 06, 2013
Related: Leafs experiment with JVR at center
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)