Nov 6, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets needed some good news and on Wednesday, they got some.
Nathan Horton, the club’s prized $37 million free agent signing, skated today for the first time since undergoing major shoulder surgery this summer and, what’s more, his latest MRI revealed the shoulder is rehabbing well.
“The doctors here looked at it and it looks really good,” Horton told the Columbus Dispatch. “It looks like we’re on track still and that’s the good news that we wanted.
“I can’t read the thing, but you can see that it’s healing or healed and I think they got the news that they wanted.”
As a result, Horton has put a timetable on his Jackets debut at “a month, month-and-a-half.”
Columbus will be keen to get him back in the lineup. Losers of four straight, the club was called out by head coach Todd Richards following Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to Ottawa, with Richards saying the players “have to look in the mirror.”
The Jackets have just six goals scored over their last four games and could use the production of Horton, a six-time 20-goal scorer.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)