Nov 6, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the New York Rangers hosting the Pittsburgh Penguins, starting at 7:30 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• The Penguins’ top line of LW Chris Kunitz (15) – C Sidney Crosby (23) – RW Pascal Dupuis (11) has combined for 18 goals and 49 points this season. To compare, the 18 forwards who have suited up for the Rangers this season have a combined 21 goals and 60 points.
• The Penguins’ Evgeni Malkin has gone eight consecutive games without a goal, his longest in-season drought since the 2009-10 season, when he went 11 straight (Dec. 27, 2009-Jan. 14, 2010).
• The Rangers have held their opponents to two or fewer goals in each of their last seven games, their longest stretch since an eight-game run from Dec. 31, 2009-Jan. 14, 2010. Meanwhile, the Penguins have scored three or more goals 13 times in 15 games (11-2-0), the most of any team in the NHL.
• The Penguins’ Marc-Andre Fleury (10-2-0 record, 1.83 GAA, .929 save%) became the first NHL goaltender to 10 wins this season on Nov. 1, and was honored as the NHL’s 2nd Star of the Week on Monday. Fleury’s hot start matches the best of his career. In 2009-10, he also started 10-2-0, picking up his tenth win on Nov. 3, 2009.
• The Penguins have killed only 16 of 23 power-play opportunities (69.6%) on the road this season, the 3rd-worst road PK percentage in the NHL. The Pens’ overall PK (81.0%) ranks 19th in the league. The last time they finished outside of the top-10 in an 82-game season was 2007-08 (81.0%, 23rd).
• Since the 2005-06 season, Sidney Crosby has the most points in the NHL in November. (Elias Sports Bureau)
1. Crosby (PIT) 126
2. Martin St. Louis (TBL) 110
3. Alex Ovechkin (WSH) 105
4. Ilya Kovalchuk (ATL/NJD) 104
5. Dany Heatley (OTT/SJS/MIN) 103
• Through Nov. 5, Metropolitan Division teams have compiled only 41 total wins in regulation or overtime (ROW), the fewest among the four NHL divisions:
Pacific (7 teams) – 51 ROW (110 games)
Central (7 teams) – 50 ROW (102 games)
Atlantic (8 teams) – 49 ROW (122 games)
Metropolitan (8 teams) – 41 ROW (116 games)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 78
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32