Nov 6, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
Don’t look now, but the New York Rangers may be finding a bit of a groove.
After that long nine-game road trip to begin the regular season, the Rangers’ schedule has evened out somewhat, with the help of a four-game home stand. It concluded Wednesday with a 5-1 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Let’s discuss, shall we.
- The Rangers have now won five of their last seven games, and are slowly beginning to climb up the standings in the Metropolitan Division. Tuesday’s win puts them just a single point behind their rivals, the New York Islanders, for the third spot.
- The Penguins had a four-game winning streak snapped. Sidney Crosby didn’t record a single point. Perhaps there is a correlation there.
- Good goaltending helps, too. Henrik Lundqvist has now allowed just four goals in his last four games.
- Ryan Callahan, in his second game back from a thumb injury, had another good night on the score sheet, with a goal late in the second period. Perhaps more important was his goal quickly restored a three-goal lead for the Rangers, heading into the second intermission.
- Balanced attack from the Rangers: Eleven different players recorded points.
- Pascal Dupuis played his final shift early in the second period, however Penguins’ head coach Dan Bylsma did not have an update on the forward, as per the team’s official Twitter account.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 6
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 14
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)