Nov 6, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
Don’t look now, but the New York Rangers may be finding a bit of a groove.
After that long nine-game road trip to begin the regular season, the Rangers’ schedule has evened out somewhat, with the help of a four-game home stand. It concluded Wednesday with a 5-1 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Let’s discuss, shall we.
- The Rangers have now won five of their last seven games, and are slowly beginning to climb up the standings in the Metropolitan Division. Tuesday’s win puts them just a single point behind their rivals, the New York Islanders, for the third spot.
- The Penguins had a four-game winning streak snapped. Sidney Crosby didn’t record a single point. Perhaps there is a correlation there.
- Good goaltending helps, too. Henrik Lundqvist has now allowed just four goals in his last four games.
- Ryan Callahan, in his second game back from a thumb injury, had another good night on the score sheet, with a goal late in the second period. Perhaps more important was his goal quickly restored a three-goal lead for the Rangers, heading into the second intermission.
- Balanced attack from the Rangers: Eleven different players recorded points.
- Pascal Dupuis played his final shift early in the second period, however Penguins’ head coach Dan Bylsma did not have an update on the forward, as per the team’s official Twitter account.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)