Nov 6, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
Don’t look now, but the New York Rangers may be finding a bit of a groove.
After that long nine-game road trip to begin the regular season, the Rangers’ schedule has evened out somewhat, with the help of a four-game home stand. It concluded Wednesday with a 5-1 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Let’s discuss, shall we.
- The Rangers have now won five of their last seven games, and are slowly beginning to climb up the standings in the Metropolitan Division. Tuesday’s win puts them just a single point behind their rivals, the New York Islanders, for the third spot.
- The Penguins had a four-game winning streak snapped. Sidney Crosby didn’t record a single point. Perhaps there is a correlation there.
- Good goaltending helps, too. Henrik Lundqvist has now allowed just four goals in his last four games.
- Ryan Callahan, in his second game back from a thumb injury, had another good night on the score sheet, with a goal late in the second period. Perhaps more important was his goal quickly restored a three-goal lead for the Rangers, heading into the second intermission.
- Balanced attack from the Rangers: Eleven different players recorded points.
- Pascal Dupuis played his final shift early in the second period, however Penguins’ head coach Dan Bylsma did not have an update on the forward, as per the team’s official Twitter account.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 2
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 8
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)