Discuss: Rangers run over Penguins on Rivalry Night on NBCSN

Nov 6, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT

Don’t look now, but the New York Rangers may be finding a bit of a groove.

After that long nine-game road trip to begin the regular season, the Rangers’ schedule has evened out somewhat, with the help of a four-game home stand. It concluded Wednesday with a 5-1 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Let’s discuss, shall we.

• The Rangers have now won five of their last seven games, and are slowly beginning to climb up the standings in the Metropolitan Division. Tuesday’s win puts them just a single point behind their rivals, the New York Islanders, for the third spot.
    • The Penguins had a four-game winning streak snapped. Sidney Crosby didn’t record a single point. Perhaps there is a correlation there.
    • Good goaltending helps, too. Henrik Lundqvist has now allowed just four goals in his last four games.
    • Ryan Callahan, in his second game back from a thumb injury, had another good night on the score sheet, with a goal late in the second period. Perhaps more important was his goal quickly restored a three-goal lead for the Rangers, heading into the second intermission.
    • Balanced attack from the Rangers: Eleven different players recorded points.
    • Pascal Dupuis played his final shift early in the second period, however Penguins’ head coach Dan Bylsma did not have an update on the forward, as per the team’s official Twitter account.

1. blackandorangeforlife - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Rangers came to play….Pens seemed to be sleeping……Expensive 2pts!

• drone501 - Nov 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM

pens don,t lose to often but when they do, they look horrible doing it.

• c9castine - Nov 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

pens just do this thing sometimes where they get frustrated by an opposing goalie and stop playing the system and just start going for broke. its no necessary. they stayed patient against boston and won. Hank makes some huge saves and gets a couple lucky bounces and they get frustrated and start making mistakes. gotta learn to control that.

2. killerpgh - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Well the only good thing I can say about this game from the Penguins point of view was they looked good for the first 10 minutes. After the Rangers were able to withstand that that it was all them. Hopefully Dupius isn’t hurt to bad. Kunitz was was a game time decision for this game after missing the last few days of practice. If Dupius misses time that would give the penguins 3 of the top 4 wingers out with injuries (Neal & Bennett).

• stakex - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Its never a “good” thing when a team only plays ten good minutes in a game….

• hockey412 - Nov 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Eh, relative statement – Pens fans have seen the Pens look horrible for a full 60 minute game…so 10 good minutes is good comparitively.

I think the Pens underestimate their opponents a good bit based on their record. Not to undercut the job done by the Rangers.

3. 7mantel - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM

After Henrik made some great saves on the first ten min Rangers controlled the rest of the game !

4. stakex - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

The Rangers might have started slow this year, but they are starting to look really good now. The Pens had some chances, and Lundqvist made key saves… but for the most part they were simply out played, and I don’t think it was just that the Pens had a bad night either. Its that the Rangers are, when playing good, a very complete team and have the defense and goaltending to outplay a team like Pittsburgh.

• pens5829 - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Keep dreaming.

• stakex - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

The Rangers just embarrassed what is suppose to be the best team in the East…. that’s not a dream, that’s reality.

• cofran2004 - Nov 7, 2013 at 7:44 AM

i dunno, I just ‘dreamed’ that the rangers beat the living hell out of the penguins. It seems to me that the rangers are one trade away from being extremely dangerous. They already made sidney and his cronies look like hot garbage.

• whammy71 - Nov 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM

1 of 82….relax Francis!

• chanceoffleury - Nov 7, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I mean, this was *maybe* the Pens worst game of the season and I think we can all agree it was probably also the best the Rangers have looked. So obviously your first instinct is to dub the way these 2 played tonight as a completely fair analysis of how they’ve played throughout the other 14/15 games they’ve played?

You know what? Yeah, that makes sense now that I wrote it out. Not sure what I was thinking using the other 15 games they’ve played as any sort of evidence as to how high their ceiling is. Silly me.

As a Pens fan I’m just glad that somebody else in the Metropolitan division finally decided to join us all for the 2013-14 NHL Season. Welcome Rangers, I see you are fashionably late to the new division party. So “New York” of you! Anyway, glad you’ve made it safely, good luck and catch us if you can!

• gaborik104life - Nov 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM

He’s not referencing tonight’s game only if I am reading it correctly. The fact is they are starting to look really good after the terrible road trip. Hank is back, the d is also and the offensive lines seem to work really well especially Kreids, Step and Zucc. Furthermore the three teams that hold the playoffs spots in the division were all beaten by the rangers if I recall correctly. While there is work to be done there is no denying that they have played really well overall since the roadtrip.

• stepanup - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM

The Pens didnt bring much to the table last night, so I don’t think much of a judgment can be made, call that an abberation on what has been a promising year. However, I do think the Rangers can be evaluated on their performance. The much publicized adveristy to start the season was more than blog material, and they have played consistently well since that horrific start. The Pens are #1 in the Metro, but the Rangers are making a statement as number 2 without their best forward.

• chanceoffleury - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Since when are the Rangers second in the metro?? Washington and the Isles say hello! Rangers arent even .509 right now. And you act like the Pens are the picture of health right now. 3 of their top 5 wingers are out as is their top shutdown defenseman. Pens haven’t played a single game with a healthy roster yet this year. For somebody blading others reading comprehension you sure as heck could learn to read a standings list yourself.

• hockey412 - Nov 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Ohhhhh boy. I’ll give it to you that the Rangers looked ok last night. But that’s about it. The Pens DID look bad. The Rangers had three shots on four power plays.

That’s three shots TOTAL on four power plays. Total of 25 shots in the game. Henry looked very good. I do not believe he stole the game for them by any stretch of the imagination, the Rangers won that at every position. The Pens D looked horrible and made some decisions which are inconsistent with how they normally play (except for Letang, he always gets caught up ice).

The Rangers looked good, but I’d save the “holy crap we’re going to win the cup” talk until the win streak is more than WON 1.

• curioustraveler13 - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:05 AM

hahaha you make me laugh stakex. One win against the #1 team in the east and you think the rangers are better then the pens. Dustin Jeffery who will probably not play anytime soon again had 2 horrendous turnovers that led directly to goals. Congrats on the win, but don’t go pumping your chest your all the sudden better then the team 8 points ahead of you in the standings. Pens had a bad game, it happens. I seriously question your hockey knowledge when you think a win in november suddenly makes the top team in the east frauds and the bottom team in the east “serious contenders”. Good luck on making the playoffs.

• stepanup - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I seriously question your reading comprehension. However, it’s blatantly obvious that Pittsburgh fans are the most reactionary and spew the most hyperbole of any fan base in the nation. Let me break it down for you….

‘Its that the Rangers are, when playing good, a very complete team and have the defense and goaltending to outplay a team like Pittsburgh.
        The question with the Rangers, now that their defense and goaltending are firing on all cylinders, is can they find consistent goal scoring. If they can, then the Rangers are serious contenders going forward.’…

WHERE DOES IT SAY THE RANGERS ARE BETTER THAN THE PENGUINS?! There’s a difference between having the pieces to do it, and saying they’re better.

WHERE DOES IT SAY THE PENGUINS ARE FRAUDS?! That was pulled straight out of Crosby’s ass. I swear I’d assume you worked for ESPN with a dramatic statement like that, which has no bearing on the reality of what Stakex said.

As for the Rangers being contenders: they started terribly, well documented. They’ve played very well of late, and their wins against Washington, Detroit, the Isles, and the Penguins have all looked that way (and Buffalo if they count). Because you clearly don’t watch any hockey that isn’t Penguins hockey, the Rangers loss to Anaheim also was a game controlled by the Rangers, but they were the team that made two mistakes and lost. The Rangers are trending upwards, quickly, and yes will be contenders come springtime.

With comments like yours it’s no wonder everyone wants to see the Penguins lose.

• moarjam - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I don’t think anyone is saying the rangers are a better team than the pens. From what I’ve seen everyone is saying that the rangers are coming on and could contend in the future.

Stop with this “oh the pens played bad”..The rangers completely outdid them in every aspect of the game. That is why they played bad…Because the rangers made them.

I don’t know how you could be so insecure after one loss. The pens are good. Everyone knows it. Stop whining. Every team loses.

• curioustraveler13 - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Stakex said “I don’t just think the pens had a bad night either” , implying the rangers are overall the better team. Hahaha you said I’m reactionary yet you wrote a book trying to Prove how I lack hockey knowledge. Hey buddy you really need to relax. Your going to give yourself an aneurism if you keep this up.

• curioustraveler13 - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Yea I am not insecure at all. Especially after a game in November. Also the pens handed the rangers that game with poor neutral zone turnovers. The rangers just capitalized. Congrats on the wins guys. It was a big one for you. Ranger fans sure are touchy after such a big win.

• stepanup - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I wasn’t questioning your hockey knowledge. I was questioning your general intelligence. If you consider what I wrote a book, then it’s probably still an open question.

• curioustraveler13 - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

The book comment was a joke referring to how long your comment was compared to others. I don’t think you understand jokes. You really take this stuff too serious buddy. Try not to get so personal when talking hockey.

• moarjam - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

whatever man…Your putting words into other peoples mouth’s. No one said or implied what you are saying…My god, they are giving your team a compliment if anything by measuring up to them.

But you’re right. They didn’t exactly beat the pens. The pens beat the pens and gave the game away. How could I be so naïve to think someone could have actually outclassed them for a night.

• c9castine - Nov 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

stepanup, its kind of inferred when somebody says that he thinks both teams showed up to play good hockey, and one outplayed the other, that they think that team is better.

he is of course wrong on all points, but i don’t think there is cause for you to be my 3rd grade reading teacher and “seriously question my reading comprehension”.

they also don’t have the pieces to do it. they don’t have near the top end talent or the depth of the penguins and thats why they haven’t sniffed a stanley cup in 19 years.

• c9castine - Nov 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

lol dude, your dreaming. it was a good job coaching last night by Vigneault to adjust to the fact that the Pens were picking them apart in the first. Pens got frustrated by it, and got completely off their game. Florida beat the Pens earlier in the year 6-3 i guess the Panthers are better than the Pens too? But wait the Pens beat Boston but also lost to Toronto and NYI…. SO i got it guys.

1. Florida
      2. Rangers
      3. NYI
      4. Toronto
      5. Pens
      6. Boston

yep thats the pecking order. the other teams i can’t tell how good they are until the play my team once, because that’ll tell me everything i need to know.

• cofran2004 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

great snark! I applaud you!

That said, I don’t think he meant the rangers are better than the pens. I understand your point, and maybe he could have conveyed his better, but I’m pretty sure all he meant was this game showed that the rangers can hang with the big boys of the conference.

thats all.

also, we sniffed the cup 2 years ago. just barely, but we could smell it.

5. sjsharks66 - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Anyone notice the linesman break up two willing fighters in this game? Rangers came to win and the pens came for a vacation I suppose. Terrible game played by the pens.

6. c1md6 - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Hahahahaha even with the help of the refs the frauds still got blown out by the lowly rangers. Their only goal was out of sight for 34 seconds and no whistle, Stepan had an easy goal but the whistle blew within seconds the ref lost the puck on top of a 7-2 ratio of power plays ( and I’m Not counting the 5 on 3 with 5 seconds left to even up the box score) hahahahaha the lowly rangers blow out the frauds 5-1!

• cofran2004 - Nov 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM

the only issue I have with your comment is the “lowly” part. the rangers are starting to come on… they’ll be lowly not much longer…

• hockey412 - Nov 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I believe there was a NYR player on top of the goalie there too – not sure any goal coming from that would have counted anyway. Aren’t you a Flyer fan, though? Calling the NYR ‘lowly’?

• hockey412 - Nov 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM

And the power play ratio was 6/4. Not that reality has anything to do with your rant or anything.

7. pitpenguinsrulez - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM

You can’t win all of them…every good team is bound to get blown out on the road, it happens. Although we haven’t been a strong road team thus far. All three road losses have been ugly. My biggest complaint is when will Malkin show up? I’m tired of seeing people pump his tires with the “No James Neal” garbage. You don’t see Crosby have these issues at all but if it’s Malkin he becomes paralyzed. As for Jeffery he truly blows. He had one good season 2010-11 and that was only because Sid & Geno were out. Hopefully we have a better outing on Saturday vs St. Louis.

8. bobhpine - Nov 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM

C1md6 are your hands calloused from grasping at straws? Oh wait, no I know why they’re calloused.

First place dude. A place you’re unfamiliar with. Back to the tissues!

• johnstone17 - Nov 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Wow, first place in November. They giving out a trophy for that feat?

• cofran2004 - Nov 7, 2013 at 7:50 AM

ahhh, “the we lost badly to a team a lot of us were calling inferior, but we’re still in first” defense. Only the chewbacca defense is stronger.

Just take your licks and move on. It’s what mature sports fans do when their team is blown out.

9. jpcar7 - Nov 7, 2013 at 7:55 AM

It’s amazing how much trash talk can come this early in the season. As a ranger fan I’m glad to beat the pens of course because it’s a big confidence builder but more importantly I’m glad we had that kind of balance with 11 different guys getting a point. They’re still learning this new system but little by little it’s coming around. As for the trash talk I leave that up to the players. I can’t back up something I have no control over.

10. patthehockeyfan - Nov 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM

My only reason for writing is to thank all the commenters here and on other stories.

I have no home team – from Baltimore, and the Caps just don’t do it for me. I love the game, and I especially like reading all your comments, with all the back and forth gentle shot-taking. (Some go too far; but, what are you gonna do?)

Living in the east, I’ve enjoyed following all the teams, and especially like Boston (Greg Campbell’s performance in the playoffs last season made me a Bruin’s fan); I like Pittsburgh (but only when I’m drunk); I like Marty Brodeur (but not necessarily the Devils). NY teams? I’m never THAT drunk; but, go Buffalo!

You commenters: your remarks and your knowledge of the game, teams, players, etc. is a joy to read. Thanks for the education and for the entertainment! You’re great! :)

11. whammy71 - Nov 7, 2013 at 8:50 AM

oh nose!!!!! The Penz lost and Sid whined in the 2nd period….the sky is falling and the world is about to end. Time to jump off a bridge!!!

Can’t win them all – and as far as the Pens are concerned – it’s down to what they do in the post season.

Time will tell.

12. 7mantel - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Hockey412 : 6 to 4 powerplays ? The last 2 pp for NY were with 45 sec to go in game ! You have a future in politics !

13. 7mantel - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Funny how Pen fans are telling NY fans not to pound their chests after embarrassing the Pens last night ! Are they the same Pen fans who pounded their own chest calling the Cup theirs after evert move Shero made last year !

• curioustraveler13 - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Well Shero did make some good moves. More then I can say about Glenn slather. However any fan who thinks the cup is won at the trade deadline or after a game in November are sorely mistaken. The cup is one of the hardest trophy’s to win in major league spurts. A lot has to go right to get your name engraved on it. Just ask Henrik lundqvist.

• cofran2004 - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Great moves!

…That got them smoked by the bruins, just like the rangers (actually, I believe the rangers won a game against the B’s…. did pittsburgh?)

Also, it can be argued that the rangers’ play picked up after the moves sather made before the deadline, and they probably only made the playoffs because of said moves, so…. you’re wrong there. No bones about it.

Bottom line: Don’t trash talk if you dont expect to hear trash talk back.

• curioustraveler13 - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

In the eastern conference finals. Satther’s moves took a offensively explosive team 2 years ago to a offensive anemic team now, last night aside.

• cofran2004 - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

The rangers have never really been offensively explosive. Not sure what you’re referring to there. Sure gaborik would go off every so often, and they’d score 6, but on the majority of nights they were 2-0, 3-1 games.

Or maybe I’m just remembering it wrong. It seems like forever ago that the rangers could score goals.

I think we can agree that the rangers weren’t even making the playoffs as constructed last year, though. The moves sather made did actually work.

The B’s were just better. Plain and simple.

14. 7mantel - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM

How did all those moves work out for you ! The point is don’t ridicule someone if your guilty of doing the same thing !

15. 7mantel - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM

There you go again telling someone to “relax” and then go on n on ! Practice what you preach !

• curioustraveler13 - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

There is a difference between responding to someone, and over reacting.

• cofran2004 - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

and the difference was not displayed by your post. if there is one, you ain’t it.

• curioustraveler13 - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Keep trying buddy. I’m sure you will find a good comeback sooner or later.

• cofran2004 - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Well of course YOU’D say that… the comeback was aimed at you!

we need an impartial observer. Someone find a panthers fan…

• curioustraveler13 - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Haha Florida can’t even find a panther fan. Good luck.

16. 7mantel - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Hey it’s all good ! Just breaking your chops !

• curioustraveler13 - Nov 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Haha I think the rangers did enough of that last night.

17. 7mantel - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Chanceofluery : All teams have injuries , that’s no excuse ! Would you except that excuse from other fans ? I don’t think so !

• nicknyhc - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Exactly.

The Rangers are missing Nash, and I don’t think they’ve had Nash/Callahan/Lundqvist all playing at the same time this year yet.

18. nicknyhc - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Do they teach people in Pittsburgh how to read these days in public schools? Just wondering.

• stepanup - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM

No. Trying to interact with Penguins fans makes me feel bad for Flyers fans. The Rangers beat the Penguins in MSG. Clearly that means the Penguins are frauds.

19. 22yearsagotoday - Nov 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Last year there was this one, Pens fan who kept on saying “see you at our Stanley Cup Parade”. Where are you, delusional one?

Flyers have many concerns