Nov 5, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
With the first month of the NHL campaign already in the books, Cam Barker has decided to join Barys Astana of the Kontinental Hockey League, according to the team’s website and Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
Barker was originally taken with the third overall pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks, right after Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin. The 27-year-old defenseman has gone on to record 96 points and 290 penalty minutes in 310 games with the Blackhawks, Minnesota Wild, Edmonton Oilers, and Vancouver Canucks.
At his height, Barker recorded 40 points in 68 games with Chicago in 2008-09. However, his playing time plummeted in the following campaign until Chicago dealt him to the Wild in Feb. 2010. He went on to play for three teams in his following three campaigns and recorded a total of nine points over 91 contests.
Barys is the only KHL team that’s located in Kazakhstan. They currently rank second in the Eastern Conference with 52 points in 23 games.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (51)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)