Nov 5, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
With the first month of the NHL campaign already in the books, Cam Barker has decided to join Barys Astana of the Kontinental Hockey League, according to the team’s website and Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
Barker was originally taken with the third overall pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks, right after Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin. The 27-year-old defenseman has gone on to record 96 points and 290 penalty minutes in 310 games with the Blackhawks, Minnesota Wild, Edmonton Oilers, and Vancouver Canucks.
At his height, Barker recorded 40 points in 68 games with Chicago in 2008-09. However, his playing time plummeted in the following campaign until Chicago dealt him to the Wild in Feb. 2010. He went on to play for three teams in his following three campaigns and recorded a total of nine points over 91 contests.
Barys is the only KHL team that’s located in Kazakhstan. They currently rank second in the Eastern Conference with 52 points in 23 games.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)