Nov 5, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Jason Arnott announced his retirement on Tuesday, via a release from the National Hockey League Players’ Association.
“I would like to thank everyone who helped me throughout my NHL career, including my family, friends, teammates and fans. Playing in the NHL was my dream, and I am very proud and appreciative of the fact I was able to play at the highest level for 19 years, with the best players in the world,” said Arnott. “Each of the teams I played for provided me with great experiences and memories, and our Stanley Cup team in New Jersey certainly stands out among all of them.”
An 18-year veteran that scored over 400 career goals, Arnott played for the Oilers, Stars, Predators, Capitals and Blues during his time in the league — but, as he alluded to, Arnott’s finest moment came as a member of the Devils during the 2000 Cup Final:
The seventh overall pick at the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, Arnott was named to the league’s All-Rookie team in ’94 and proceeded to play in a pair of All-Star Games (1997, 2008).
Last year, Arnott had a deal in place to join the New York Rangers, only to see it scuttled after he failed a team physical. After the nixed deal with the Rangers, reports surfaced that the Blues were interested in bringing Arnott back, but GM Doug Armstrong shot down the idea in mid-March.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)