Nov 5, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Jason Arnott announced his retirement on Tuesday, via a release from the National Hockey League Players’ Association.
“I would like to thank everyone who helped me throughout my NHL career, including my family, friends, teammates and fans. Playing in the NHL was my dream, and I am very proud and appreciative of the fact I was able to play at the highest level for 19 years, with the best players in the world,” said Arnott. “Each of the teams I played for provided me with great experiences and memories, and our Stanley Cup team in New Jersey certainly stands out among all of them.”
An 18-year veteran that scored over 400 career goals, Arnott played for the Oilers, Stars, Predators, Capitals and Blues during his time in the league — but, as he alluded to, Arnott’s finest moment came as a member of the Devils during the 2000 Cup Final:
The seventh overall pick at the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, Arnott was named to the league’s All-Rookie team in ’94 and proceeded to play in a pair of All-Star Games (1997, 2008).
Last year, Arnott had a deal in place to join the New York Rangers, only to see it scuttled after he failed a team physical. After the nixed deal with the Rangers, reports surfaced that the Blues were interested in bringing Arnott back, but GM Doug Armstrong shot down the idea in mid-March.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)