Nov 5, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Jason Arnott announced his retirement on Tuesday, via a release from the National Hockey League Players’ Association.
“I would like to thank everyone who helped me throughout my NHL career, including my family, friends, teammates and fans. Playing in the NHL was my dream, and I am very proud and appreciative of the fact I was able to play at the highest level for 19 years, with the best players in the world,” said Arnott. “Each of the teams I played for provided me with great experiences and memories, and our Stanley Cup team in New Jersey certainly stands out among all of them.”
An 18-year veteran that scored over 400 career goals, Arnott played for the Oilers, Stars, Predators, Capitals and Blues during his time in the league — but, as he alluded to, Arnott’s finest moment came as a member of the Devils during the 2000 Cup Final:
The seventh overall pick at the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, Arnott was named to the league’s All-Rookie team in ’94 and proceeded to play in a pair of All-Star Games (1997, 2008).
Last year, Arnott had a deal in place to join the New York Rangers, only to see it scuttled after he failed a team physical. After the nixed deal with the Rangers, reports surfaced that the Blues were interested in bringing Arnott back, but GM Doug Armstrong shot down the idea in mid-March.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)