Nov 5, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Jason Arnott announced his retirement on Tuesday, via a release from the National Hockey League Players’ Association.
“I would like to thank everyone who helped me throughout my NHL career, including my family, friends, teammates and fans. Playing in the NHL was my dream, and I am very proud and appreciative of the fact I was able to play at the highest level for 19 years, with the best players in the world,” said Arnott. “Each of the teams I played for provided me with great experiences and memories, and our Stanley Cup team in New Jersey certainly stands out among all of them.”
An 18-year veteran that scored over 400 career goals, Arnott played for the Oilers, Stars, Predators, Capitals and Blues during his time in the league — but, as he alluded to, Arnott’s finest moment came as a member of the Devils during the 2000 Cup Final:
The seventh overall pick at the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, Arnott was named to the league’s All-Rookie team in ’94 and proceeded to play in a pair of All-Star Games (1997, 2008).
Last year, Arnott had a deal in place to join the New York Rangers, only to see it scuttled after he failed a team physical. After the nixed deal with the Rangers, reports surfaced that the Blues were interested in bringing Arnott back, but GM Doug Armstrong shot down the idea in mid-March.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)