Nov 5, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
In an interview with Russian news outlet R-Sport, Tyutin defended his friend and Russian national teammate with some pointed criticisms of the American legal system and the alleged victim of Varlamov’s attack, Evgeniya Vavrinyuk.
Here’s the translation of what Tyutin said to R-Sport, as per Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov:
“I personally know Semyon very well. He is quite a true, considerate guy. As soon as I heard it all, I realized that it is all blown [out of proportion].
“It’s just American laws are on the women’s side, that’s why they can go to the police for any little thing, complain and bring a lot of problems to men.
“That’s why the only mistake of Semyon is that he got together with this girl.”
Vavrinyuk, 24, said in an interview that Varlamov drunkenly kicked her during a fight, which she claimed to be the fifth time he’d beaten her. The Avs goalie was released from jail on $5,000 bond and allowed to travel with the team — one night following his arrest, Varlamov was in goal for a 3-2 win over the Stars in Dallas.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 26
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 97
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)