Tyutin: ‘I should have chosen my words a little better’ regarding Varlamov

Nov 5, 2013, 6:26 PM EST

fedortyutingetty Getty Images

Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Fedor Tyutin didn’t deny his remarks in defense of Semyon Varlamov, including that the Colorado Avalanche goalie’s “only mistake” was that he “got together with this girl.” The 30-year-old expressed regret for his choice of words to the Columbus Dispatch on Tuesday, however.

“I don’t support any violence against women,” Tyutin said. “I have my own two daughters. I would never want anything like it to happen to them. I know Semyon. I know him very well. I was just trying to be supportive to him.”

“I should have chosen my words a little better. I think everybody is innocent until proven guilty. I just feel like everybody’s convicted him already. Knowing him pretty well, I was trying to support him.”

Blue Jackets president John Davidson released a statement regarding the matter.

“We have discussed this with Fedor and believe that, while he chose his words very poorly in an attempt to support a friend, he in no way condones violence against women or anyone else. As an organization, the Columbus Blue Jackets vehemently oppose all forms of violence directed at any individual.”

Latest Posts
  1. Get your game notes: Rangers at Wings, Rivalry Night

Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptyzogi1mdrmnjbmndc0odgwmzmyyzm5mmi3zdzjodlj AP

An Original Six matchup at the Joe.

2. Season over? Clarkson out 4-6 weeks with torn oblique muscle

Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST

New Jersey Devils v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.

3. TVR to play this weekend for Rockford (AHL)

Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST

Trevor van Riemsdyk Getty Images

‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.

4. Wings clear Zetterberg (upper body) to face Rangers

Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST

Detroit Red Wings v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.

5. Boyle, Tanguay to play in 1,000th NHL games tonight

Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST

Colorado Avalanche v New York Rangers Getty Images

Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.

6. Anyone notice the Preds are slumping?

Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST

Nashville Predators v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Just two wins in their last eight.

7. Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit

Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST

Trevor Daley, Matt Martin Trevor Daley, Matt Martin

Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.

8. After ‘nightmare’ start for Markstrom, Canucks face goaltending conundrum

Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST

Jacob Markstrom AP

“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”

9. Ryder, Havlat don’t sound thrilled about still being Devils

Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST

New Jersey Devils v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.

10. Andersen ties record for quickest to 50 wins

Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST

Kyle Chipchura, Frederik Andersen AP

It took him just 68 decisions.

11. Kessel’s defense ‘means a lot’ to Phaneuf

Mar 4, 2015, 9:21 AM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs Players During Practice Getty Images

The captain is still proud to be a Maple Leaf.

12. NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight

Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST

Mats Zuccarello, Danny DeKeyser AP

Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.

Reactions from NHL trade deadline