Tyutin: ‘I should have chosen my words a little better’ regarding Varlamov

Nov 5, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT

fedortyutingetty Getty Images

Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Fedor Tyutin didn’t deny his remarks in defense of Semyon Varlamov, including that the Colorado Avalanche goalie’s “only mistake” was that he “got together with this girl.” The 30-year-old expressed regret for his choice of words to the Columbus Dispatch on Tuesday, however.

“I don’t support any violence against women,” Tyutin said. “I have my own two daughters. I would never want anything like it to happen to them. I know Semyon. I know him very well. I was just trying to be supportive to him.”

“I should have chosen my words a little better. I think everybody is innocent until proven guilty. I just feel like everybody’s convicted him already. Knowing him pretty well, I was trying to support him.”

Blue Jackets president John Davidson released a statement regarding the matter.

“We have discussed this with Fedor and believe that, while he chose his words very poorly in an attempt to support a friend, he in no way condones violence against women or anyone else. As an organization, the Columbus Blue Jackets vehemently oppose all forms of violence directed at any individual.”

1. sjsharks66 - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I don’t see the big deal? It’s not like he said “his only mistake was he didn’t beat her more.”

2. ntvd7 - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Ahem – imnotyourbuddyguy

It wasn’t a Sean Avery comment, no discipline

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Are you kidding? The team had a talk with him and felt that they needed to make a statement, and it took less than 24 hours to get into damage control mode.

Ahem – You’re an idiot

3. hockeyflow33 - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I think a lot of people forget these guys have only been using English for a few years. Imagine playing in the KHL and trying to speak Russian while not coming off like an idiot? Can’t imagine it’s that easy.

• ikillchicken - Nov 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Uh…he WAS speaking Russian. He made his comment to a Russian news outlet in his native tongue. His supposedly poor English skills have absolutely nothing do do with this. And I don’t see much room for ambiguity in his initial comment. Despite what he’s preaching now, he clearly did not deny that Varlamov hit his wife. Rather, he explicitly stated that what happened is being blown out of proportion because American laws let wives go to the police for “every little thing”. There’s really no other meaning to take from that than that it is okay to rough up your wife at least a little bit.

4. 19to77 - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

“I just feel like everybody’s convicted him already. Knowing him pretty well, I was trying to support him.”

You know what? Fair enough. English isn’t his first language and he was emotional and frustrated at how much heat his friend (a fellow Russian) has been catching. He maybe went a bit overboard, but it’s understandable – and we all know how much the media tries to blow these soundbytes out of proportion. Guy’s only human.

• koredan - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM

English isn’t his first language, but these remarks were made in Russian, which is.

5. winger58 - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I’m all for fighting in hockey but, I think it ironic that a hockey team President would say, “…(we) vehemently oppose all forms of violence directed at any individual.”

Just saying…

6. interiorfan - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I’m a woman and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with what he said. He spoke the truth even if it’s not too politically correct.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1312)
  2. S. Crosby (1256)
  3. P. Rinne (1144)
  4. N. Niederreiter (1143)
  5. B. Schenn (1086)