Nov 5, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
David Booth‘s conditioning assignment with the Utica Comets isn’t a way for the Vancouver Canucks “to send a message” to a player that needs a wake-up call, according to head coach John Tortorella.
Instead, it’s just “using your AHL team the proper way.” Which, in Booth’s case, is apparently to “fast-track” a player that’s missed the last four NHL games with a lower-body injury.
But again, the coach didn’t see it that way.
“He has to agree to this, and that shows his mind is in the right spot,” said Tortorella, per Ben Kuzma of The Province.
“He’ll get 20-23 minutes a game there and I can’t guarantee him that in our next four games. It will fast-track him.”
Booth’s agent, Mike Liut, saw it the same way as Tortorella.
“Conditioning assignments are designed for player’s in David’s position, the Canucks and David are taking advantage of the opportunity,” Liut wrote in an email to The Province.
The Canucks kick off a four-game road trip tonight in Phoenix.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)