Nov 5, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
Movember ‘stache or not, Alex Ovechkin looked like himself on Tuesday … which was bad news for the New York Islanders.
The Capitals absolutely dominated in the second period of Tuesday’s game, turning a 1-0 Islanders lead into a 5-1 Caps margin thanks in part to Washington’s ferocious power play. The Caps collected three goals on the man advantage in that span – two of which came from Ovechkin – and then Tom Wilson capped it all with a 6-1 PP goal in the third period.
It was obviously a tough night for the Islanders, and John Tavares wasn’t happy after factoring into both Isles goals (one goal, one assist). He vented to New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple after the game.
“It should be embarrassing,” Tavares said. “Just don’t know why we can’t stick with it. You give 8 and 19 those easy plays, it’ll be a long night.”
(Nicklas Backstrom – aka “19″ to Ovechkin’s “8″ – had three assists of his own.)
The Islanders remain at . 500 (6-6-3), essentially in the same place they were before the Thomas Vanek trade. The Capitals aren’t that far ahead with an 8-7-0 record, although they’re on a three-game winning streak and have scored 16 goals (OK, 15 if you discount the shootout) in the last three contests.
Could Isles GM Garth Snow get itchy to make a move again?
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)