Nov 5, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
Movember ‘stache or not, Alex Ovechkin looked like himself on Tuesday … which was bad news for the New York Islanders.
The Capitals absolutely dominated in the second period of Tuesday’s game, turning a 1-0 Islanders lead into a 5-1 Caps margin thanks in part to Washington’s ferocious power play. The Caps collected three goals on the man advantage in that span – two of which came from Ovechkin – and then Tom Wilson capped it all with a 6-1 PP goal in the third period.
It was obviously a tough night for the Islanders, and John Tavares wasn’t happy after factoring into both Isles goals (one goal, one assist). He vented to New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple after the game.
“It should be embarrassing,” Tavares said. “Just don’t know why we can’t stick with it. You give 8 and 19 those easy plays, it’ll be a long night.”
(Nicklas Backstrom – aka “19” to Ovechkin’s “8” – had three assists of his own.)
The Islanders remain at . 500 (6-6-3), essentially in the same place they were before the Thomas Vanek trade. The Capitals aren’t that far ahead with an 8-7-0 record, although they’re on a three-game winning streak and have scored 16 goals (OK, 15 if you discount the shootout) in the last three contests.
Could Isles GM Garth Snow get itchy to make a move again?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)