Nov 5, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
Movember ‘stache or not, Alex Ovechkin looked like himself on Tuesday … which was bad news for the New York Islanders.
The Capitals absolutely dominated in the second period of Tuesday’s game, turning a 1-0 Islanders lead into a 5-1 Caps margin thanks in part to Washington’s ferocious power play. The Caps collected three goals on the man advantage in that span – two of which came from Ovechkin – and then Tom Wilson capped it all with a 6-1 PP goal in the third period.
It was obviously a tough night for the Islanders, and John Tavares wasn’t happy after factoring into both Isles goals (one goal, one assist). He vented to New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple after the game.
“It should be embarrassing,” Tavares said. “Just don’t know why we can’t stick with it. You give 8 and 19 those easy plays, it’ll be a long night.”
(Nicklas Backstrom – aka “19” to Ovechkin’s “8” – had three assists of his own.)
The Islanders remain at . 500 (6-6-3), essentially in the same place they were before the Thomas Vanek trade. The Capitals aren’t that far ahead with an 8-7-0 record, although they’re on a three-game winning streak and have scored 16 goals (OK, 15 if you discount the shootout) in the last three contests.
Could Isles GM Garth Snow get itchy to make a move again?
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 9
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 81
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (81)