Nov 5, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
Movember ‘stache or not, Alex Ovechkin looked like himself on Tuesday … which was bad news for the New York Islanders.
The Capitals absolutely dominated in the second period of Tuesday’s game, turning a 1-0 Islanders lead into a 5-1 Caps margin thanks in part to Washington’s ferocious power play. The Caps collected three goals on the man advantage in that span – two of which came from Ovechkin – and then Tom Wilson capped it all with a 6-1 PP goal in the third period.
It was obviously a tough night for the Islanders, and John Tavares wasn’t happy after factoring into both Isles goals (one goal, one assist). He vented to New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple after the game.
“It should be embarrassing,” Tavares said. “Just don’t know why we can’t stick with it. You give 8 and 19 those easy plays, it’ll be a long night.”
(Nicklas Backstrom – aka “19” to Ovechkin’s “8” – had three assists of his own.)
The Islanders remain at . 500 (6-6-3), essentially in the same place they were before the Thomas Vanek trade. The Capitals aren’t that far ahead with an 8-7-0 record, although they’re on a three-game winning streak and have scored 16 goals (OK, 15 if you discount the shootout) in the last three contests.
Could Isles GM Garth Snow get itchy to make a move again?
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)