Nov 5, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
Awful news surfaced regarding Pekka Rinne‘s hip infection on Tuesday, as Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports that the $7 million goalie’s issue could keep him out until around Christmas. The original prognosis was it would sideline him for a month, but now it’s looking like six-to-eight weeks.
Kypreos reports that it’s a very dangerous E. Coli infection. Here’s video (Rinne’s bit starts around the 2:30 mark):
(Keep in mind this is just a report, though a reasonable one since we already know he has a bad infection.)
At the moment, the Predators are rolling with an inexperienced duo of Carter Hutton and Magnus Hellberg in net. Time will tell if this longer injury prompts GM David Poile to seek a more proven asset either through trade (did someone play Ryan Miller‘s theme music?) or free agency (word is that Ilya Bryzgalov is still seeking NHL employment).
It’s already a tough time for the Predators.
They’re two games into a seven-game road trip and play seven of their next eight away from Nashville. Maybe the franchise will use that as a trial-by-fire for their young goalies, then?
PHT will update if there are any contrary reports, as so far it’s just Kypreos passing along this bad news.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21