Nov 5, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
Awful news surfaced regarding Pekka Rinne‘s hip infection on Tuesday, as Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports that the $7 million goalie’s issue could keep him out until around Christmas. The original prognosis was it would sideline him for a month, but now it’s looking like six-to-eight weeks.
Kypreos reports that it’s a very dangerous E. Coli infection. Here’s video (Rinne’s bit starts around the 2:30 mark):
(Keep in mind this is just a report, though a reasonable one since we already know he has a bad infection.)
At the moment, the Predators are rolling with an inexperienced duo of Carter Hutton and Magnus Hellberg in net. Time will tell if this longer injury prompts GM David Poile to seek a more proven asset either through trade (did someone play Ryan Miller‘s theme music?) or free agency (word is that Ilya Bryzgalov is still seeking NHL employment).
It’s already a tough time for the Predators.
They’re two games into a seven-game road trip and play seven of their next eight away from Nashville. Maybe the franchise will use that as a trial-by-fire for their young goalies, then?
PHT will update if there are any contrary reports, as so far it’s just Kypreos passing along this bad news.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)