Nov 5, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
Awful news surfaced regarding Pekka Rinne‘s hip infection on Tuesday, as Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports that the $7 million goalie’s issue could keep him out until around Christmas. The original prognosis was it would sideline him for a month, but now it’s looking like six-to-eight weeks.
Kypreos reports that it’s a very dangerous E. Coli infection. Here’s video (Rinne’s bit starts around the 2:30 mark):
(Keep in mind this is just a report, though a reasonable one since we already know he has a bad infection.)
At the moment, the Predators are rolling with an inexperienced duo of Carter Hutton and Magnus Hellberg in net. Time will tell if this longer injury prompts GM David Poile to seek a more proven asset either through trade (did someone play Ryan Miller‘s theme music?) or free agency (word is that Ilya Bryzgalov is still seeking NHL employment).
It’s already a tough time for the Predators.
They’re two games into a seven-game road trip and play seven of their next eight away from Nashville. Maybe the franchise will use that as a trial-by-fire for their young goalies, then?
PHT will update if there are any contrary reports, as so far it’s just Kypreos passing along this bad news.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53