Nov 5, 2013, 8:49 PM EST
Awful news surfaced regarding Pekka Rinne‘s hip infection on Tuesday, as Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports that the $7 million goalie’s issue could keep him out until around Christmas. The original prognosis was it would sideline him for a month, but now it’s looking like six-to-eight weeks.
Kypreos reports that it’s a very dangerous E. Coli infection. Here’s video (Rinne’s bit starts around the 2:30 mark):
(Keep in mind this is just a report, though a reasonable one since we already know he has a bad infection.)
At the moment, the Predators are rolling with an inexperienced duo of Carter Hutton and Magnus Hellberg in net. Time will tell if this longer injury prompts GM David Poile to seek a more proven asset either through trade (did someone play Ryan Miller‘s theme music?) or free agency (word is that Ilya Bryzgalov is still seeking NHL employment).
It’s already a tough time for the Predators.
They’re two games into a seven-game road trip and play seven of their next eight away from Nashville. Maybe the franchise will use that as a trial-by-fire for their young goalies, then?
PHT will update if there are any contrary reports, as so far it’s just Kypreos passing along this bad news.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 34
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 9
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28