Nov 5, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
Awful news surfaced regarding Pekka Rinne‘s hip infection on Tuesday, as Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports that the $7 million goalie’s issue could keep him out until around Christmas. The original prognosis was it would sideline him for a month, but now it’s looking like six-to-eight weeks.
Kypreos reports that it’s a very dangerous E. Coli infection. Here’s video (Rinne’s bit starts around the 2:30 mark):
(Keep in mind this is just a report, though a reasonable one since we already know he has a bad infection.)
At the moment, the Predators are rolling with an inexperienced duo of Carter Hutton and Magnus Hellberg in net. Time will tell if this longer injury prompts GM David Poile to seek a more proven asset either through trade (did someone play Ryan Miller‘s theme music?) or free agency (word is that Ilya Bryzgalov is still seeking NHL employment).
It’s already a tough time for the Predators.
They’re two games into a seven-game road trip and play seven of their next eight away from Nashville. Maybe the franchise will use that as a trial-by-fire for their young goalies, then?
PHT will update if there are any contrary reports, as so far it’s just Kypreos passing along this bad news.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 36
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 27
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25