Nov 5, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin will play for the first time in two games on Tuesday night, and he’ll be doing it with a new linemate.
The Caps have replaced Marcus Johansson with Martin Erat as Ovechkin’s usual right winger, meaning Erat will skate alongside Ovechkin as the Washington captain returns from an upper-body ailment to take on the Isles at Verizon.
“He’s a skilled guy, experienced guy and I’m sure he’s going to help our line to create more opportunities to score goals,” Ovechkin said of Erat, as per NHL.com. “He’s a great player.”
Injured last Monday in Vancouver, Ovechkin sat out a pair of wins last week — Friday’s 7-0 drubbing of Philly, Saturday’s 3-2 shootout win over Florida — and watched a number of Washington’s secondary scorers light it up.
Joel Ward scored his first career hat trick against Philly, while Jason Chimera recorded the first four-point game of his career. Against Florida, John Carlson scored his first goal of the season and Michael Latta recorded his first NHL point.
All that’s left now is for Erat to bump his slump. The Czech forward has no goals and five assists in 14 games this year, with all five of those assists coming in two games (two against Philly on Saturday, three against the Jackets on Oct. 19.)
“I have to take advantage of it,” Erat said of the opportunity to play with Ovechkin. “I have to prove I belong in the top-six forwards.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)