Nov 5, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
Very little has gone right for the Edmonton Oilers this season, but at least they’ll get some much needed reinforcements for Tuesday’s game against Florida.
Goaltender Devan Dubnyk will have an opportunity to turn his season around now that he’s recovered from an ankle injury. They’ll also get back 37-year-old forward Ryan Smyth (groin), who is projected to play alongside Nail Yakupov and Sam Gagner.
“We need Smytty in the lineup right now,” Oilers coach Dallas Eakins told the Edmonton Sun. “When things are not going great, you look to experience and leadership.
“The more guys like that we can have in the room, the better. So he will definitely calm the storm and helpfully be able to pick up some of our guys and hopefully give them some confidence.”
Leading the Oilers out of their current rut will be a sizable task. They’ve lost five straight games, dropping their record to 3-10-2 this season. They’re six points behind the next worst team in the Western Conference and tied for 29th in the league overall.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)