Nov 5, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT
A play that made blooper reels is actually quite serious, according to former NHL referee Kerry Fraser.
Lupul missed, instead nailing teammate Nazem Kadri, at which time everybody laughed because haha Toronto.
Turns out the situation wasn’t that amusing, though, as Fraser says the play was deliberate enough to warrant Lupul’s ejection. From his TSN mailbag:
I look at this play similarly to a player swinging a stick at the head of his opponent from close range but where no contact was made. Without question I would assess a match penalty for “attempt to injure.” I would hope every Referee would do the same.
I recall giving Chris ‘Knuckles’ Nilan a match penalty after assuming his position in the penalty box following a fight, then grabbing a puck out of the bucket and throwing it at his opponent seated in the visitors penalty box. The puck missed Knucks’ intended target but it was still an attempt to injure!
Here’s the play in question:
Lupul wasn’t penalized on the play, though Toronto more than made up for it by racking up 52 PIM total, including a stretch in the third period where the Leafs took four consecutive minors in the span of 10 minutes.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 0
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 3
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 34
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)