Nov 5, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
As if life needed to get any harder for the NHL’s worst team, the Buffalo Sabres kick off a three-game road trip tonight in San Jose, after which they’ll make stops in Los Angeles Thursday and Anaheim Friday.
Combined, those three California teams are 15-3-1 at home. In contrast, the Sabres go West dragging a 2-11-2 overall record with them.
If there’s a bright side, it’s that the Sabres’ only two wins came on the road. But let’s be real, there’s no bright side to what’s happened in Buffalo this season. By almost every measure, it’s been a disaster. There’s the minus-23 goal differential. The league-worst 24.8 shots per game. Really, about the only thing that’s been decent is the goaltending. And thank goodness for that, because the Sabres are allowing 35.5 shots per game, the third most in the NHL.
Buffalo’s latest loss, 6-3 to Anaheim on Saturday, was the Sabres’ fifth by three goals. The loss also dropped their record at the First Niagara Center to 0-8-1.
At least one Sabre is hoping some time away from the hometown booing (not to mention the chanting directed at management) will help.
“Sometimes trips like these can change a season and really mold a team,” said Matt Moulson, per the Buffalo News. “Hopefully that’s the case on this trip and we come away with some W’s and come back home. I know the fans definitely want some wins here.”
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)