Nov 5, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
As if life needed to get any harder for the NHL’s worst team, the Buffalo Sabres kick off a three-game road trip tonight in San Jose, after which they’ll make stops in Los Angeles Thursday and Anaheim Friday.
Combined, those three California teams are 15-3-1 at home. In contrast, the Sabres go West dragging a 2-11-2 overall record with them.
If there’s a bright side, it’s that the Sabres’ only two wins came on the road. But let’s be real, there’s no bright side to what’s happened in Buffalo this season. By almost every measure, it’s been a disaster. There’s the minus-23 goal differential. The league-worst 24.8 shots per game. Really, about the only thing that’s been decent is the goaltending. And thank goodness for that, because the Sabres are allowing 35.5 shots per game, the third most in the NHL.
Buffalo’s latest loss, 6-3 to Anaheim on Saturday, was the Sabres’ fifth by three goals. The loss also dropped their record at the First Niagara Center to 0-8-1.
At least one Sabre is hoping some time away from the hometown booing (not to mention the chanting directed at management) will help.
“Sometimes trips like these can change a season and really mold a team,” said Matt Moulson, per the Buffalo News. “Hopefully that’s the case on this trip and we come away with some W’s and come back home. I know the fans definitely want some wins here.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)