Nov 5, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
As if life needed to get any harder for the NHL’s worst team, the Buffalo Sabres kick off a three-game road trip tonight in San Jose, after which they’ll make stops in Los Angeles Thursday and Anaheim Friday.
Combined, those three California teams are 15-3-1 at home. In contrast, the Sabres go West dragging a 2-11-2 overall record with them.
If there’s a bright side, it’s that the Sabres’ only two wins came on the road. But let’s be real, there’s no bright side to what’s happened in Buffalo this season. By almost every measure, it’s been a disaster. There’s the minus-23 goal differential. The league-worst 24.8 shots per game. Really, about the only thing that’s been decent is the goaltending. And thank goodness for that, because the Sabres are allowing 35.5 shots per game, the third most in the NHL.
Buffalo’s latest loss, 6-3 to Anaheim on Saturday, was the Sabres’ fifth by three goals. The loss also dropped their record at the First Niagara Center to 0-8-1.
At least one Sabre is hoping some time away from the hometown booing (not to mention the chanting directed at management) will help.
“Sometimes trips like these can change a season and really mold a team,” said Matt Moulson, per the Buffalo News. “Hopefully that’s the case on this trip and we come away with some W’s and come back home. I know the fans definitely want some wins here.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)