Nov 5, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
David Desharnais‘ struggles to start the year have finally reached a breaking point.
Desharnais, Montreal’s assist leader in 2011-12, will be a healthy scratch when the Canadiens host the Blues on Tuesday night at the Bell Center, according to TVA Sports.
The decision comes after Desharnais was demoted to the fourth line in the hopes of sparking his offensive output. The 27-year-old has just one point in 15 games this year, his first of a four-year, $14 million extension signed in March.
“He wants success and we’re working with him to make sure that he’s going to get some success,” head coach Michel Therrien told the Montreal Gazette. “But obviously, the success is not there.
“So now we’re in a position, we have to make decisions.”
Desharnais acknowledged he wasn’t playing as well.
“[Therrien] just wants me to compete a little bit more,” he explained. “I’m not producing the way I would like to, and just chip in and help the team win.”
The diminutive center burst onto the scene in ’11-12, scoring a career-high 60 points in 81 games, finishing 24th in the NHL with 44 assists (more than Patrick Kane, Jordan Eberle and Patrice Bergeron). That earned him the big-money extension, which has raised expectations and demands.
In Desharnais’ place, the Habs will dress 30-year-old journeyman Martin St. Pierre, who last played in the NHL during the 2009-10 campaign with Ottawa.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)