Nov 5, 2013, 5:18 PM EST
Don’t worry if you get déjà vu reading this. You won’t be alone.
“I hope it will never happen, but if there is a situation that could be really fun for me and really good for the Devils, why not? It’s not like I’m going to play 25 more years here,” Brodeur said.
“I’m not looking for that. I want to get back into the playoffs with this team and try to do something with this team. I would say 99 percent I’d say no right now. But for a little bit of time (in the spring)? Nobody is going to remember it, really. It wouldn’t be that big of a deal.”
Brodeur’s comments today are reminiscent of, though a bit different than, the ones he made back in late 2011 when he was a pending unrestricted free agent.
“In the future you never know, but I don’t want to [change teams],” he said. “But if I want to play — and I have so much respect for this organization — and if they don’t feel I’m the guy for them and they want to move on, if I still want to play I have to look after myself. I don’t see that happening, but I can’t say no.”
Brodeur, 41, is once again a pending unrestricted free agent. And unlike two years ago, the Devils have their goalie of the future in 27-year-old Cory Schneider.
Of course, Brodeur’s willingness to be moved is only one aspect of any potential trade. How much a team would be willing to give up for him is another.
“For a goalie it’s a little different because if it’s a really good contender, usually they already have a good goalie. So that kind of closes doors a little bit. Unless they want to make sure that if something happens they have a guy who has been there before,” Brodeur said. “That could be a possibility. That’s not something that interests me right now, but it might.”
In seven starts for the Devils this season, Brodeur’s save percentage is just .888.
But on the other hand, we suppose his overall body of work is pretty impressive, what with the four Vezina Trophies, three Stanley Cups and 204 career playoff starts.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 15
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8