Nov 4, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will have yet another new face on the blue line when they face the Winnipeg Jets on Monday night.
The team placed defenseman Brendan Smith on injured reserve and called up 2009 seventh-round pick Adam Almquist to take his spot. Almquist impressed with his play during the preseason and continued to play well in the AHL to start the year with seven assists in 10 games. If/When he plays tonight, it’ll mark his NHL debut.
Smith, on the other hand, will be out a minimum of seven days. He was injured in a fight with Edmonton’s Will Acton on Saturday night in the Red Wings’ 5-0 victory.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)