Nov 4, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will have yet another new face on the blue line when they face the Winnipeg Jets on Monday night.
The team placed defenseman Brendan Smith on injured reserve and called up 2009 seventh-round pick Adam Almquist to take his spot. Almquist impressed with his play during the preseason and continued to play well in the AHL to start the year with seven assists in 10 games. If/When he plays tonight, it’ll mark his NHL debut.
Smith, on the other hand, will be out a minimum of seven days. He was injured in a fight with Edmonton’s Will Acton on Saturday night in the Red Wings’ 5-0 victory.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 18
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)