Nov 4, 2013, 4:44 PM EST
Could goalie fights one day be punished with a 10-game suspension?
League sources tell Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press that the NHL will discuss an automatic 10-gamer for goalies who leave their zone to fight, similar to the one that applies to players who leave the bench to fight.
Who knows, maybe it ends up being just three games. Or five. Whatever the number, a rule like that would’ve certainly made Flyers goalie Ray Emery think twice about skating down the ice to attack Washington’s Braden Holtby on Friday in Philadelphia.
Thrown out of that unwinnable contest (it was 7-0 Capitals at the time of the brawl), Emery was still allowed to start the Flyers’ next game, a 1-0 shutout over New Jersey on Saturday.
That Emery wasn’t suspended for his role in Friday’s melee didn’t sit well with many observers.
“There was no rule that was violated to elevate things to the level of a suspension,” said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. “It’s something we’ll continue to discuss…I’m sure it’s something we’ll focus on, particularly with the general managers.”
Nov 20, 2014, 4:02 PM EST
The information was out there, the league argues.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:55 PM EST
A look at two of the NHL’s most intriguing coaching situations.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:24 PM EST
Are the Leafs married to mediocrity?
Nov 20, 2014, 3:19 PM EST
No makeup date announced yet.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 20, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
But the guy head coach Jon Cooper really wants back is Victor Hedman.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:07 PM EST
Prized free agent signing has just one goal in 17 games.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
Nine of 10 against teams that made the playoffs last season.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:19 PM EST
Edmonton lost again last night, and made a number of glaring mistakes in the process.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Wings GM Ken Holland acknowledged he took a gamble.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
Stars take on Arizona tonight.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:49 AM EST
Following a listless 2-0 defeat to the Rangers.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:39 AM EST
He’s played nine games for Boston this year.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
He’s only participated in six games so far.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:08 AM EST
“I’ve never seen a case as ugly as this one.”
Nov 20, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
He’ll have a chance to beat his former team, Anaheim, again tonight.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
The Detroit defenseman was injured in a fight Tuesday.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:30 AM EST
Where to draw the line is the question.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
Left Wednesday’s game following his first shift of the third period.
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 4
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 24
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 52
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 11
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Predators humiliate Leafs with 9-2 victory 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)