Nov 4, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
Could goalie fights one day be punished with a 10-game suspension?
League sources tell Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press that the NHL will discuss an automatic 10-gamer for goalies who leave their zone to fight, similar to the one that applies to players who leave the bench to fight.
Who knows, maybe it ends up being just three games. Or five. Whatever the number, a rule like that would’ve certainly made Flyers goalie Ray Emery think twice about skating down the ice to attack Washington’s Braden Holtby on Friday in Philadelphia.
Thrown out of that unwinnable contest (it was 7-0 Capitals at the time of the brawl), Emery was still allowed to start the Flyers’ next game, a 1-0 shutout over New Jersey on Saturday.
That Emery wasn’t suspended for his role in Friday’s melee didn’t sit well with many observers.
“There was no rule that was violated to elevate things to the level of a suspension,” said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. “It’s something we’ll continue to discuss…I’m sure it’s something we’ll focus on, particularly with the general managers.”
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 35
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 14
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)