Nov 4, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
From our friends at CSN Washington:
After sitting out the last two games with an upper body injury, Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin was back on the ice for practice on Monday, taking part in full contact drills.
“It looks like I’m probably going to play tomorrow [against the visiting New York Islanders],” Ovechkin said, “and I’m happy to be back.”
Ovechkin, who is tied for third in the NHL with 10 goals, was injured last Monday night when he crashed into Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo on a first-period breakaway.
The Caps did well in the two games without their captain and leading goal-scorer. They hammered the Flyers, 7-0, on Friday and beat Florida, 3-2 in a shootout, Saturday.
“They don’t need me,” Ovechkin joked. “They win two games. It’s kind of scary to go back to a line and mess with the lines. We’ll see.”
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)