Nov 4, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
From our friends at CSN Washington:
After sitting out the last two games with an upper body injury, Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin was back on the ice for practice on Monday, taking part in full contact drills.
“It looks like I’m probably going to play tomorrow [against the visiting New York Islanders],” Ovechkin said, “and I’m happy to be back.”
Ovechkin, who is tied for third in the NHL with 10 goals, was injured last Monday night when he crashed into Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo on a first-period breakaway.
The Caps did well in the two games without their captain and leading goal-scorer. They hammered the Flyers, 7-0, on Friday and beat Florida, 3-2 in a shootout, Saturday.
“They don’t need me,” Ovechkin joked. “They win two games. It’s kind of scary to go back to a line and mess with the lines. We’ll see.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)