Nov 4, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
From our friends at CSN Washington:
After sitting out the last two games with an upper body injury, Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin was back on the ice for practice on Monday, taking part in full contact drills.
“It looks like I’m probably going to play tomorrow [against the visiting New York Islanders],” Ovechkin said, “and I’m happy to be back.”
Ovechkin, who is tied for third in the NHL with 10 goals, was injured last Monday night when he crashed into Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo on a first-period breakaway.
The Caps did well in the two games without their captain and leading goal-scorer. They hammered the Flyers, 7-0, on Friday and beat Florida, 3-2 in a shootout, Saturday.
“They don’t need me,” Ovechkin joked. “They win two games. It’s kind of scary to go back to a line and mess with the lines. We’ll see.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5