Nov 4, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
From our friends at CSN Washington:
After sitting out the last two games with an upper body injury, Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin was back on the ice for practice on Monday, taking part in full contact drills.
“It looks like I’m probably going to play tomorrow [against the visiting New York Islanders],” Ovechkin said, “and I’m happy to be back.”
Ovechkin, who is tied for third in the NHL with 10 goals, was injured last Monday night when he crashed into Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo on a first-period breakaway.
The Caps did well in the two games without their captain and leading goal-scorer. They hammered the Flyers, 7-0, on Friday and beat Florida, 3-2 in a shootout, Saturday.
“They don’t need me,” Ovechkin joked. “They win two games. It’s kind of scary to go back to a line and mess with the lines. We’ll see.”
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 16
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 50
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)