Lecavalier expected to play with half-shield, half-cage Tuesday

Nov 4, 2013, 11:19 PM EDT

vinnylecavgetty Getty Images

Despite having the sort of injury that sounds more week-to-week than day-to-day, it sounds like Vincent Lecavalier will be able to bounce back from Friday’s fight to play for the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday.

To do so, he experimented with different facial protection, ultimately settling on a half-shield, half-cage setup, as he told CSNPhilly.com.

“My vision was a little bit better with my half shield and the little protective thing to protect the lower part of my face,” Lecavalier said. “It fogs up and all that, but those are all things between shifts. Obviously I have to have that right now. I feel good today. Hopefully I’ll be able to play tomorrow. I felt fine on the ice. I just need to protect it and I’ll be good.”

The 33-year-old explains that fighting is just something that “just happens,” even for a finesse player like him.

(One may remember that just happening against Jarome Iginla in the playoffs many moons ago, too.)

1. wallio - Nov 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM

My take from this brawl is this: Where are all the articles calling the Caps soft? After Miller got run over YEARS AGO people are still saying Buffalo is soft and weak, etc and their goalie only got hit. Holtby got beat down, and his tram didn’t even lift a finger to help. At when Miller fought Emery, Peters jumped in. So why isnt anyone calling Washington out on it?

• westinpat - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Biron fought Emery, not Miller.

• blackandorangeforlife - Nov 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

If you watch the Video you will see the ref flagging them away from the fight thus preventing a 3rd man in

• claudegirwho - Nov 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Maybe the flyers should hire that ref being he was the only one capable of keeping the caps away from their goalie

• blackandorangeforlife - Nov 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Love the name…..What is it with Pens fans and pre pubescent comments?

• babykaby - Nov 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I don’t think I would call a team that put one player in the hospital and another out with a mushed face, soft. Maybe you didn’t notice but there were two other fights going on while Holtby was being assaulted, that’s why the linesman weren’t there to stop Emery, they were focused on the other fights. Holtby may have taken a beating, but he was laughing when it was over. On the other side, the Flyers lost two of their players to injury due to fighting and they took a beating in the score. Looks like Flyers are the softer team. Who would have ever thought that.

2. wisdomnfl - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Soft player on weak team.

Chances Blue Jackets bounce back?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches