Nov 4, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Montoya gets rare start
Pavelec, 26, is tied for first in the league in starts (13), third in shots faced (399) and fifth in time on ice (758:44) thus far. Montoya, meanwhile, has made just three appearances this year, though one did come recently, in relief of Pavelec during Saturday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago (Montoya allowed one goal on 11 shots).
Despite the limited body of work, the 28-year-old has performed well this year, posting a .944 save percentage and 1.57 GAA.
Andersen in goal for Anaheim
Rookie phenom Frederik Andersen will look to remain perfect this season as the Ducks take on the Rangers at MSG tonight.
Andersen, 24, is 3-0-0 this season with a .944 save percentage and 1.50 GAA. The Danish netminder last played in 4-3 win over Columbus on Oct. 27, stopping 18 of 21 shots — tonight’s start means Jonas Hiller‘s run of three straight games will come to an end (Hiller is 6-2-1 on the year with a 2.57 GAA and .907 save percentage).
– As we reported earlier, Craig Anderson won’t play on Tuesday vs. Columbus as he deals with a neck strain suffered on Sunday in Dallas. Robin Lehner will go for Ottawa, and recently recalled Nathan Lawson will back him up.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)