Nov 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
Florida Panthers winger Kris Versteeg didn’t do much to mask his disdain about being a healthy scratch – allegedly for the first time in the NHL – on Saturday. He said the right things about fighting his way back into the lineup, although he also admitted to the Miami Herald that he isn’t a guarantee to play in the team’s next game Tuesday.
“I have to earn my time back,” Versteeg said. “It’s not easy but you keep working. You get paid a lot of money to play a game you love, so you roll with the good times and deal with the bad times and try to always come out on top, do the best with the opportunity you’re given. I’m fine. I know what’s expected of myself.”
The 27-year-old acknowledged that he might be slowed by recovering from last season’s knee injury, but also believes he’s been working hard.
Head coach Kevin Dineen was coy about whether Versteeg will be back in the lineup. To be fair to Dineen, Versteeg has only managed an assist in his last five games played.
To add a little optimism to the situation, maybe Versteeg will come up with some new form of flashy mustache and/or Hulk Hogan hair to marvel us with now that he has a little downtime?
Meanwhile, Tim Thomas (lower body) won’t dress on Tuesday but is expected to travel with the team.
Update (Tuesday, 10:37 a.m. ET)
Looks like Kris Versteeg is back in the Panthers lineup tonight, on line with Goc and Kopecky. Gomez, Barch appear to be scratches.—
Steve Goldstein (@goldieonice) November 05, 2013
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)