Nov 4, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks and Montreal Canadiens got some good news Monday regarding the health of their concussed veteran forwards.
In Anaheim, the Ducks announced that Saku Koivu has resumed skating and is symptom free following a concussion suffered on a hit from Columbus’ Brandon Dubinsky on Oct. 27. Koivu, 38, will miss his fourth game with the injury tonight when the Ducks take on the Rangers at MSG, but could resume practicing with the Ducks when they return to Orange County following this current trip — Anaheim next plays on Wednesday against Phoenix.
In Montreal, Briere skated for the first time since getting knocked by Nashville forward Eric Nystrom in a 2-1 loss on Oct. 19.
Briere, 36, has been off-ice entirely for the last three weeks, missing seven games in the process. The injury was just the latest setback in what was a difficult start to Briere’s career as a Canadien, as the shifty winger had just three points in his first eight games and was briefly dropped to the fourth line by head coach Michel Therrien.
Briere will miss Tuesday’s game against St. Louis, and it’s unclear when he’ll be cleared to return to action. Montreal plays on Thursday in Ottawa, then at home on Saturday against the Islanders.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)