Nov 4, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks and Montreal Canadiens got some good news Monday regarding the health of their concussed veteran forwards.
In Anaheim, the Ducks announced that Saku Koivu has resumed skating and is symptom free following a concussion suffered on a hit from Columbus’ Brandon Dubinsky on Oct. 27. Koivu, 38, will miss his fourth game with the injury tonight when the Ducks take on the Rangers at MSG, but could resume practicing with the Ducks when they return to Orange County following this current trip — Anaheim next plays on Wednesday against Phoenix.
In Montreal, Briere skated for the first time since getting knocked by Nashville forward Eric Nystrom in a 2-1 loss on Oct. 19.
Briere, 36, has been off-ice entirely for the last three weeks, missing seven games in the process. The injury was just the latest setback in what was a difficult start to Briere’s career as a Canadien, as the shifty winger had just three points in his first eight games and was briefly dropped to the fourth line by head coach Michel Therrien.
Briere will miss Tuesday’s game against St. Louis, and it’s unclear when he’ll be cleared to return to action. Montreal plays on Thursday in Ottawa, then at home on Saturday against the Islanders.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 52
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (53)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)