Nov 4, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks and Montreal Canadiens got some good news Monday regarding the health of their concussed veteran forwards.
In Anaheim, the Ducks announced that Saku Koivu has resumed skating and is symptom free following a concussion suffered on a hit from Columbus’ Brandon Dubinsky on Oct. 27. Koivu, 38, will miss his fourth game with the injury tonight when the Ducks take on the Rangers at MSG, but could resume practicing with the Ducks when they return to Orange County following this current trip — Anaheim next plays on Wednesday against Phoenix.
In Montreal, Briere skated for the first time since getting knocked by Nashville forward Eric Nystrom in a 2-1 loss on Oct. 19.
Briere, 36, has been off-ice entirely for the last three weeks, missing seven games in the process. The injury was just the latest setback in what was a difficult start to Briere’s career as a Canadien, as the shifty winger had just three points in his first eight games and was briefly dropped to the fourth line by head coach Michel Therrien.
Briere will miss Tuesday’s game against St. Louis, and it’s unclear when he’ll be cleared to return to action. Montreal plays on Thursday in Ottawa, then at home on Saturday against the Islanders.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 0
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)