Nov 4, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks and Montreal Canadiens got some good news Monday regarding the health of their concussed veteran forwards.
In Anaheim, the Ducks announced that Saku Koivu has resumed skating and is symptom free following a concussion suffered on a hit from Columbus’ Brandon Dubinsky on Oct. 27. Koivu, 38, will miss his fourth game with the injury tonight when the Ducks take on the Rangers at MSG, but could resume practicing with the Ducks when they return to Orange County following this current trip — Anaheim next plays on Wednesday against Phoenix.
In Montreal, Briere skated for the first time since getting knocked by Nashville forward Eric Nystrom in a 2-1 loss on Oct. 19.
Briere, 36, has been off-ice entirely for the last three weeks, missing seven games in the process. The injury was just the latest setback in what was a difficult start to Briere’s career as a Canadien, as the shifty winger had just three points in his first eight games and was briefly dropped to the fourth line by head coach Michel Therrien.
Briere will miss Tuesday’s game against St. Louis, and it’s unclear when he’ll be cleared to return to action. Montreal plays on Thursday in Ottawa, then at home on Saturday against the Islanders.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 2
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)