Nov 4, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks and Montreal Canadiens got some good news Monday regarding the health of their concussed veteran forwards.
In Anaheim, the Ducks announced that Saku Koivu has resumed skating and is symptom free following a concussion suffered on a hit from Columbus’ Brandon Dubinsky on Oct. 27. Koivu, 38, will miss his fourth game with the injury tonight when the Ducks take on the Rangers at MSG, but could resume practicing with the Ducks when they return to Orange County following this current trip — Anaheim next plays on Wednesday against Phoenix.
In Montreal, Briere skated for the first time since getting knocked by Nashville forward Eric Nystrom in a 2-1 loss on Oct. 19.
Briere, 36, has been off-ice entirely for the last three weeks, missing seven games in the process. The injury was just the latest setback in what was a difficult start to Briere’s career as a Canadien, as the shifty winger had just three points in his first eight games and was briefly dropped to the fourth line by head coach Michel Therrien.
Briere will miss Tuesday’s game against St. Louis, and it’s unclear when he’ll be cleared to return to action. Montreal plays on Thursday in Ottawa, then at home on Saturday against the Islanders.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)