Nov 4, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils provided two concussion-related updates regarding injured players to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti on Monday.
It was good news/bad news regarding Ryane Clowe. GM Lou Lamoriello admitted to Gulitti that there’s “always” concern about a player with Clowe’s history of head injuries being out long-term. On the other hand, Lamoriello believes that the 31-year-old “absolutely” feels better now that he’s working out again.
“If he didn’t feel better, he couldn’t be doing anything,” Lamoriello said.
Meanwhile, there’s still concern that Jon Merrill might have suffered a concussion of his own thanks to Sunday’s spill. That comes even though the 21-year-old passed baseline tests last night.
“We’re having him examined today,” Lamoriello said. “He’s fine. He came back with us. All the tests done were good, but he got a pretty good jolt.”
Either way, the Devils are hurting right now. At least they get until Thursday to heal up a bit.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 12
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 27
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)