Nov 4, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Maple Leafs center Dave Bolland is out indefinitely after having surgery Sunday in Vancouver to repair a severed tendon on the outside of his left ankle, the club announced today.
Bolland suffered the injury in the second period of Saturday’s game versus the Canucks when hit along by the boards by Zack Kassian.
By itself, Bolland’s injury would test Toronto’s depth down the middle. Combine it with the fact center Tyler Bozak has been place on Long-Term Injured Reserve after sustaining what the team is calling a hamstring injury on Oct. 25 versus Columbus, and the Leafs have a big challenge ahead of them.
Toronto’s next game is Friday at home versus the Devils.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)