Nov 3, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
Ottawa Senators goalie Craig Anderson was stretchered off the ice during overtime of their game against the Dallas Stars.
Anderson collided with Stars rookie forward Valeri Nichushkin with 3:16 left in the extra period. Nichushkin’s thigh appeared to crash into Anderson’s face, knocking his head back awkwardly. Anderson laid on the ice awake and in pain, but motionless.
Senators trainers immobilized Anderson and had him taken off the ice on a stretcher. He gave a thumbs up to the Canadian Tire Centre crowd as he was wheeled off the ice.
We’ll update on his condition as it becomes available.
UPDATE (4:01 p.m. ET): Shawn McKenzie of Sportsnet has a very encouraging update.
UPDATE (4:28 p.m. ET): Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun has the injury:
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 1
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 25
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)