Nov 3, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
The best news to come out of this weekend for the New Jersey Devils might just be that this weekend is just about over.
The Minnesota Wild added insult to injuries on Sunday, shutting out a damaged Devils team 4-0. New Jersey was also blanked by Ray Emery and the Philadelphia Flyers 1-0 on Saturday.
Combine those demoralizing defeats with injuries to the likes of Patrik Elias, Travis Zajac, Peter Harrold, Jon Merrill and carryover headaches with Ryane Clowe and Bryce Salvador and things are just miserable for head coach Peter DeBoer’s group right now.
Sometimes teams want to get the next possible opportunity for redemption, yet deep down, the Devils might be glad that they have off until Thursday’s road game against the Flyers. They’re banged up and not playing very well – it’s not just bad puck luck, as New Jersey fired 33 shots on goal in these past two losses – so a little time to heal up and refresh could be very valuable.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)